Tuesday, 17 February 2015

recent reads: jane smiley's some luck

Some Luck made me feel as though Jane Smiley had taken me by the hand and said, 'Come, let me tell you a story.' The first part of a trilogy (with the second, Early Warning, due out later this year), this novel spans from 1920 to the 1950s. As the family at its pivot - Walter and Rosanna Langdon - bring their children up on their farm in Iowa, we see the world from each of their viewpoints, right down to the earliest sights for their children. Each chapter spans a year with the narrative moving forward as each character ages and grows, adventures and - for the Langdon children - start families of their own.

I just loved this book - from the actual physical thing itself with its rough-cut pages and stunning cover, to the gently written words inside. Part of what drew me so completely in, I think, is that my own family have strong rural roots going back generations and it's interesting to see someone else's point of view of what leads to urbanisation and a detachment from the land in some, whilst in others the pull towards farm life remains so strong. 

I think A Thousand Acres and Barn Blind are the only books of Jane Smiley's that I've read, but with Some Luck I'm hooked. I can't wait to see what happens in the next instalment (which goes from 1953-1986) and I'm delighted it's not going to be too long before it's released. A must read, Some Luck is a doorway in to many lives and a journey into the American heartland. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment