Friday, 6 February 2015

a year of australian writing - alice pung's laurinda

Life inside an exclusive girls' school is revealed by scholarship winner Lucy Lam. 
Laurinda, Alice Pung's first novel, comes after the success of her previously published memoirs Unpolished Gem and Her Father's Daughter. This is a fabulous read with a remarkably strong voice - John Marsden couldn't have put it better than his cover statement "Alice Pung totally nails it with Laurinda." I've been to both co-ed and single sex schooling and this novel could have sprung from either place - the intricacies of the social hierarchy are stripped apart under Lucy's observant eye and we are the fortunate observers into this important stage of her life.

I'm going to call it early and say that Laurinda will be one of my favourite reads in 2015 - a rash statement to make at this stage of the year, but it is amazing!

Have you read Laurinda? Did it make the grade and send you back to your own school days?

PS I'm joining in with Pip's A Year of Australian Writing.

PPS Cover image via here.

6 comments:

  1. Laurinda is our current book in book club. I'm 8th in the library wait list, so I don't think I'll read it in time, but I will get there eventually! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Emily, Hope you enjoy it when you get your hands on a copy! I just loved it! Cheers, Lucy

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this with Pink Fibro Bookclub - AND we have a FB chat scheduled with Alice for 3 March, so I"m doubly excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Allison! Hope you enjoy the chat, sounds fabulous!

      Delete
  3. Gotta get this one then!! The fabric on the skirt is the same as my kids' winter uniform, which is freaking me out a bit. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! Know what you mean about the fabric, it's kind of similar to the one I wore in primary school...

      Delete