Sunday, 11 January 2015

happy new year 2015 - the writer's edition

The final 2014 writer's edition slipped by in the busy whirl of Christmas preparations, end of school and bushfires. When the countryside around us flared up on 19 December it affected many people we know and brought the year to an abrupt end. Finally declared safe in the past week, the fire burned through over 5000 hectares, affecting many local landholders, native fauna and flora. Rehabilitation works have now commenced and people are able to start planning for the future.

My own 2015 has got off to a flying start. I will be working 12 hours a week as a journalist on our local newspaper, something I'm delighted about and will complement my novel writing at home. I officially started this week, however I did write a couple of stories for their final December edition. The juggle of childcare has commenced, although with a great team behind me I think we have it covered! It's actually quite good starting during the school holidays - hopefully we will have found some kind of routine before Term One begins at the end of the month.

While there has been little time for my second manuscript in recent weeks, I'm pleased to announce that at just over 37,000 words, I am almost half-way through my first draft. This is something I only started in October and it seems incredible that I have already reached that point. The basic gist of it is a tree change gone wrong - a retired couple are heading to the country to start a new life, but tragedy strikes on the eve of their move.

My first manuscript (a Fly In, Fly Out mining couple discover that all that glitters isn't gold) is still out for consideration and I don't expect to find out anything more for the next couple of months. It's been wonderful to reflect on the past year and see how far I've got with my writing. I don't know what will happen with this manuscript, but to realise I've achieved a lifelong dream and I'm only 41 is amazing. It leaves so much time to achieve the next dream (and the next and the next!), which is of course to write another book (and another and another)!

What does 2015 have in store for you?! I hope it's all that you wish! Thank you for joining in with my writing journey at Stonefruit Season and I look forward to sharing more with you over the coming year.

PS The pic was taken at a roadside flower stall near Jamieson, Victoria - so cute!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely update Lucy! Love the picture. I hope 2015 turns out to be a wonderful one. Fingers crossed for good news regarding the MS x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Vanessa,

      Thank you for your words of encouragement! All the best for your own writing journey in 2015.

      Cheers,

      Lucy

      Delete