Thursday, 4 December 2014

reupholstering at home - vintage chairs

Last year I came upon these gorgeous vintage chairs - gorgeous in everything but the upholstery fabric... a tired, dull floral number that just had to go. Fix number one was to create a patchwork style cover... which didn't work either. The fabrics were lovely, but not quite bright enough. Fix number two was a beautiful bright fabric... which was too thin, creased easily and wasn't quite right. The third - and I'm delighted to report final fix is this, the big TA DAH!
 Bright fabric, check! Thick material, check! So far, this is the only one that's almost finished properly - it just needs a piece of calico on the base to hide all the workings - which makes this post a bit premature, but it's so exciting! The other three need their bases fitted properly which involves the long, arduous task to untack the existing fabric.  There must be millions of staples and nails in each chair, so I'll do them as time evolves. For now though, I'm delighted with the new look - something I've been meaning to do for ages. I'll do a more in-depth, step-by-step post down the track, but wanted to share this while I could...

Have you tackled any sewing projects lately, big or small?

2 comments: