Monday, 1 December 2014

30 days of books for christmas - the relatives came

People tucked into all corners of the house describes my ideal family get together - just as in Cynthia Rylant's The Relatives Came. I discovered this children's picture book in our local library, but fell in love with it and had to buy a copy of our own. I've blogged about it before at this time of year, but this list of book for Christmas would be incomplete without adding it here too.

While it's not a Christmas book per se, it's about a family gathering during the American summer - their favourite time of the year.  I must confess that I'm unable to read The Relatives Came without bursting into tears and you'd be the same with lines like this: 'You'd have to go through at least four different hugs to get from the kitchen to the front room. Those relatives!' It reminds me of my own family, near and far.  We won't have the full quota this year but we will come close and we can't wait!

Does your family have The Relatives Came or another special book that reminds them of their cousins, uncles, aunts and grandparents? Do you get it out for Christmas or other times of year?

PS Image via here and Picmonkey collage.

No comments:

Post a Comment