Tuesday, 9 December 2014

30 days of books for christmas - we are called to rise

One of my favourite reads for 2014 is Laura McBride's debut novel We are called to rise. The lives of four separate people become connected through tragedy. It's such a beautifully written book that you want to rush to read it, but force yourself to slow down and savour it for longer. I blogged about McBride's novel earlier in the year and picked out the following passage as an example:

'It all matters.  That someone turns out the lamp…tells the story honestly, acknowledges help, gives credit… wipes the counter, waits at the yellow, makes the bed… accepts the consequences, takes a stand, steps up, offers a hand, goes first, goes last, chooses the small portion, teaches the child, tends the dying' (p197)

A must read, I look forward to reading more from Laura McBride in the future.


PS Cover image via here and Picmonkey collage.

2 comments:

  1. I think I will be adding this one to my list for next year…Thanks Lucy…loving your book suggestions! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie - it's a great one to look out for! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete