Tuesday, 4 November 2014

an icypole party in the garden...

Sophie's party was one of those times when you have the bones of an idea, put together the components and think wow, I did that and it worked!  I used a combination of honeycomb paper decorations, chinese lanterns and bright flowering plants and set them up under the shade of our trees.
It was a scorching hot day and we ended up inside until all but the end, when we had the cake.  Thank goodness for air conditioning - and yes, it was only the end of October, but we needed it already!  And it was just as well I took the decorations down that evening as we woke up to rain the next morning!
The cake was a great success.  I originally planned on cutting out an icypole shape, as per the invitation on the right, but realised it would have made for quite a small cake.  I could have supplemented with cupcakes, but that would have made another job altogether.  I compromised with the icypole template on top of the cake, forming the shape on the icing and sprinkling the rest with hundreds and thousands.

All done for another year and with decorations we can use again and again!  I've actually left all the honeycomb ones tied to the silver ribbon - they unfold when you remove the paperclip that joins them, which is very handy.  It will be like untangling Christmas lights to re-use them, but saves time putting the whole thing together next time!

Are your parties done for the year or do you have more to go?!  My birthday is still to come and the jury is out yet as to what we will do, but big or small it will be marked in some way!

12 comments:

  1. Your garden is so lovely and a perfect backdrop for a party! Love the cake too….. I always have such intentions of making some amazing cakes and they never look quite like the picture! Yours looks great! And how good are those honeycomb paper decs- love them!!! Gorgeous post! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie! It's taken some time to get it to this stage, as you will see in today's post! The cake was an easy one - take this tip and use it. So much easier to have a template for the wow rather than trying to create it any other way. It's something I'm going to exploit now I've worked it out!!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful - I might have an icypole party just for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can throw you one when we see each other next! I can practise writing your name!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, Lucy. It's been nice catching up here. Very busy at the moment, hence little time to comment. Phew! That cake looks wonderful - it's giving me ideas for the next round of children's birthdays. Hope you're finding lots of time to write, by the way. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that time of year isn't it Isabelle?! I have missed you though, so it's lovely to hear from you! Am so glad I've cottoned on to the template, will use the idea again. The writing has suffered slightly, although I'm a lot further ahead than I thought I would be, so it's not such a stress!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, such a simple idea and a great success!

      Delete
  5. The cake is so fab, Lucy. What a sweet party, I love the decorations. Icy pole is a great theme!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bron! I was so glad I thought of the template, might not have been such a success otherwise!!

      Delete
  6. Oh you clever mama. You did such an awesome job Lucy, I am guessing you are the best mum in the world as far as one little girl is concerned xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Son! Soph had a lovely time with her friends and can't wait until the next one.

      Delete