Sunday, 23 November 2014

30 days of books - the invention of wings

Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings, set in 19th century America, begins when Sarah Grimke is given a slave on the occasion of her eleventh birthday.  Sarah's reaction - and the events that follow - shape both girls' futures in a heartbreaking tale of slavery, friendship and prejudice.  I loved so many things about this novel and it is another of my favourite all-time reads - I seem to have accrued a number of them this year which is exciting in itself!  This is a must for any reader - just wonderful!

PS You may have noticed I've skipped a couple of days - woops!  It's that time of year!

PPS Image via here and collage via Picmonkey

2 comments:

  1. I loved Sue Monk Kidd's Secret Life of Bees and I have The Invention of Wings sitting on my bedside cabinet ready and waiting as one of my winter reads and I am really looking forward to reading it so I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Mitzi! I loved Secret Life of Bees too - the book and movie. Just superb! Funny to think you're storing up winter reads as things start to warm up in Australia!

      Delete