Wednesday, 26 November 2014

30 days of books for christmas - my salinger year

Escape to New York with Joanna Rakoff in My Salinger Year.  This memoir was immediately engaging and completely swept me into the world of 1990s publishing.  Rakoff's time spent answering JD Salinger's fan mail (using a proforma letter devised in the 1960s) is chronicled here, in an office environment where computers where shunned and the typewriter was still King.  I heard Rakoff interviewed via So you want to be a writer (and through which I won a copy) and she writes just the way she talks - a fabulous gush of anecdotes and colour.  Consider this a must read for Christmas (you're going to be busy, aren't you?!).

Are you a fan of the memoir?  Have you come across a Joanna Rakoff interview?


PS Image via here and collage via Picmonkey.

6 comments:

  1. Snap! I heard the interview on So You Want To Be A Writer as well and immediately wanted the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting ... off to look it up. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this book. It really was like reading a novel. I had to keep reminding myself that it was memoir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way Kelly, just so removed from my own life that it had to be a novel! Funny isn't it?! But when you hear Joanna Rakoff, you realise it's absolutely her - her voice is innate within her writing.

      Delete