Sunday, 30 November 2014

30* days of books for christmas - big stone gap

Sweetly scent gardenias, sheltering from the heat, dips in a cool pool at the end of the day, gaggles of cousins inside and out, cricket humming away in the background - these summer constants have always been accompanied by great reads.  In the past, there was always Noel Barber (remember Tanamera?), Jackie Collins, Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher.  I eventually moved on to Steven King, Patricia Cornwell and Tim Winton.  Then, when Tom was a baby and we were still living in Ireland, a great friend put me on to Adriana Trigiani...

Big Stone Gap is one of those novels I'd like to read again for the first time.  I fell for it straight away and nestled down to read it every chance I could.  Adriana Trigiani introduced me to life in the Blue Ridge Mountains, red pepper sandwiches and, most importantly, Ave Maria Mulligan and Jack MacChesney.  Adriana Trigiani's lyrical prose carried me through the remaining books in the Big Stone Gap series (Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon, Home to Big Stone Gap) and hooked me in to stand-alone novels Lucia, Lucia and Queen of the Big Time.

Adriana Trigiani's novels are filled with love, humour, good food, rich settings and memorable characters.  If you haven't come across her before, start with Big Stone Gap.  Now a movie starring Ashley Judd, Whoopi Goldberg, Patrick Wilson, Jenna Elfman and John Benjamin Hickey, I'm hoping it will come to Australian shores next year.  But just like any adaptation, best to read the novel first in case the movie isn't as good!  I'll be sure to check back in and give you the verdict!

Have you read Adriana Trigiani's Big Stone Gap series? Will you be rushing out to see the movie?

PS. Cover image via here (where there is also a free sample of the novel) and Picmonkey collage.

* I should retitle this series as 30 plus days of books for Christmas as I've missed a couple of days now!

4 comments:

  1. There's a movie????????? I loved Noel Barber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need books for the holidays so I'll be trawling through your 30 days to find some gems. Thanks lovely! x

    ReplyDelete