Thursday 2 October 2014

treme, a homemade life and more

You know how they talk about book hangovers?  I get that way with television series too.  There's part of me still waiting for Friday Night Lights to return and misses the days before Mer-Der really got it together in Grey's Anatomy, back when George was still alive.  I'm forever hopeful of finding something new to watch and happy to say I've had some recent wins.  Post Hurricane Katrina, Treme is New Orleans in mourning and what came next - Season 1 was a kind of slow burn but I fell for it straight away.  Slickly filmed, the music is a highlight with a theme song I can't get out of my head.

I've stood on the sidelines regarding Game of Thrones, not imagining I would become a disciple but guess what?  I love it - and no-one is more surprised than me (and no matter how great my love of books, I will be sticking to television with this one).  We're now waiting for Season 3 to appear from the library - no spoilers please!!  Dallas Buyers Club tells the tale of Ron Woodruff who was part of the experimental AIDS treatment movement, something I didn't even know existed.  Matthew McConaughey was fantastic in this role and supported by a terrific cast.

Recently, Isabelle from the gorgeous Notes from Delft recommended I read Molly Wizenberg's memoir, A Homemade Life, which shares her passion for food and family.  It's written with equal measures of humour and honest reflection and is a great read.  Thank you Isabelle!  We are all completely beside ourselves is a masterpiece by Karen Joy Fowler, thoroughly deserving its nomination for the Man Booker Prize short list.  It's hard to say much about this novel without spoilers, so just trust me when I say you should hunt it down!

That's all for now!  Back to the book, the end is nigh and it's a very exciting yet nerve-wracking time.  How are things in your neck of the woods?

10 comments:

  1. I just saw Dallas Buyer's Club..it was fantastic...Jared Leto was also fantastic...and he was so sweet at the Academy Awards talking about his mom.....oh Game of Thrones...such good things! I've also read the books..am on the fifth one now....just bought Chinese Cinderella, a memoir about a girl growing up unwanted after her mother dies giving birth to her and she is considered unlucky....also reading Glass Castle...I'm in a memoir mood...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing well to be reading GOT - I'm happy I don't have to miss out with the TV series. Am an avid reader, but I don't usually stretch to that genre! I loved The Glass Castle - such an amazing read and Jeannette Walls is a wonderful writer.

      Delete
  2. A Homemade Life is one of my favourite books, I found it enchanting. I read 'Delancey', her more recent book, and, for me, it fell flat, (though I am sure others would enjoy it). I don't watch much TV, apart from The Great British Bake Off, which is compulsory viewing in our house, and as a family we all love 'The Middle', so well written and acted, fantastic! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny! Interesting you say that about 'Delancey' - I haven't read it yet, so I will be interested to see. GBBO is lovely! We have both it and the Aussie version and I prefer yours much better.

      Delete
  3. I've not seen the Game of Thrones or read the books but I am very tempted my sons keep telling me it would be one for me. I have read The Reason I Jump, I have a son with autism and I am always intrigued as to how other people especially some with autism views themselves. I found it very thought provoking and worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Mitzi, I was very dubious about GOT so I'm stunned regarding how much I enjoy the show! I loved The Reason I Jump - I was remiss not to mention it in my post, but I found it so insightful.

      Delete
  4. So glad you've enjoyed it, Lucy :-)

    I haven't seen Game of Thrones, but it's incredibly popular here in The Netherlands. Must give it a go! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! And thank you for steering me in its direction. GOT not one to watch with the kids around (lots of scrambling for the off button if one of them comes in when they should be asleep in bed!) and quite confronting, but it's very escapist!

      Delete
  5. Oh I read the age of miracles last year! Like you I thought it was a good and also a somewhat thought provoking read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just seen your second post. I'm just over half way on we are completly beside ourselves. I agree you can't explain the story without ruining the whole book!

    ReplyDelete