Wednesday 1 October 2014

the art of adapting, the age of miracles & more

It's been hard to fit everything in lately - some books may have to be reborrowed for a time when I'm not trying to finish my own!  Cassandra Dunn's debut novel The Art of Adapting sees the renewal of Lana and her family after separation from her husband.  Life circumstances dictate her brother moves in his own issues to face - a lovely story about how family will always be number one.  The Age of Miracles is a standout.  Karen Thompson Walker's novel is written so deftly and beautifully, it's one of my best reads ever.  Imagine the world after the 'slowing', when there are days on end of light or dark.  Seen through the eyes of 12 year old Judith, it's a wonderful imagining of this time.

The Infographic Resume is an interesting concept - throw away your boring curriculum vitae and use an infographic instead!  There are some amazing examples in the book and it seems like a logical step in our visual world.  Salvage Secrets Design & Decor was written by interior designer, stylist and author Joanne Palmisano.  Filled with beautiful images of how to repurpose items and great finds - she also has a fabulous Pinterest board.  Cook Republic's Sneh Roy has blogged to book with Tasty Express - stunning photographs and great recipes - enjoy!

I've decided to split up my recent reading and viewing posts - too much to fit in!!  There will be more tomorrow and from then on I will try to blog my reads as I go.

What literary fodder have you feasted on lately?

9 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled that you loved 'The Age of Miracles' too - It really was amazing wasn't it. You make me want to read it again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe we've never talked about it before - have you read We are Called to Rise yet as I think you would like that too, in light of this!

      Delete
  2. You have been busy. Might have to have a look at The Age of Miracles if it is that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great Mitzi, hope you like it! Please pop back and let me know if you do!

      Delete
  3. Well, as you kindly visited my blog, you know what I've been reading lately so I won't repeat the list! I loved The Age of Miracles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over Edwina! I think it will be one of my all-time favourite reads now.

      Delete
  4. The Age of Miracles sounds like an amazing read and the sort of book I would enjoy, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do enjoy it! Please call back and let me know if you're able to track it down and tell me what you think.

      Delete
  5. I am going to check The Age of Miracles out I think. I really like the sound of it. I am into Scottish fiction this month, I have just finished Iain Banks very last novel, The Quarry. I did enjoy it but not as much as his other novels. Cx

    ReplyDelete