Friday 10 October 2014

how to write that book… 5 easy steps with a twist!

Writing a book had become something that would happen in the future
It was something I would do after I'd done this course or that one, had this job or the other, once the kids were older or once they left home.  And then I saw my opening - that small sliver of time once Jono started kinder and before he went off to school.  It was now or never.   Reading the acknowledgements pages of many women writers, I see now it's a golden age, early 40s, young kids - the first time in many of our lives that we are home and able to write.

All of which is a preface to the following steps
It's a way of explaining why I can say now that I have written (what I hope will be published as) a book.  It is only now that this perfect storm of events has created the space in my life - and yes, I have taken advantage of it, but I wouldn't have finished my manuscript yet otherwise.

None of this has happened overnight
It has taken thirteen years of marriage, three kids, numerous houses that we didn't own and finally one that we did (when I'd just about given up hope of ever being in our own home), jobs that saw Joe and I as ships that passed in the night or day or weekend, never quite managing to be home together.  It's taken two countries, money troubles, every day problems, dream catching and dream juggling.

And therein lies the rub - or the twist, as it may be
It might take just 5 easy steps to write that book, but sometimes you also need that perfect storm of events.  It requires the planets to align and you to read them.  Easy, huh?  Then, all you have to do is….

1. Stop saying one day and start today

2. Write little and often - it all adds up over time

3. Write despite the outcome - do it for yourself

4. Share the process with your friends, family

5. Celebrate the steps, big and small

Perhaps these 5 steps will work without the perfect storm
You might be able to more easily fit writing in with family or work or other responsibilities.  Because believe me - if you want to write that book, then it's something you just have to do.  It's the only way you will find out, one way or the other, if you can do it.  And then start on the next one and the next and the next.  You will never know unless you try!

Have you achieved a lifelong dream, writing or otherwise? Is there anything you'd like to share?

PS  Thank you for all the love on my last post!  This is the last day of submissions and I have my fingers crossed.  Otherwise, business as usual on Monday when I start my next manuscript!  Wahoo!

6 comments:

  1. I admire you do much for taking the time to write your book, even though you are not sure of the outcome. I have long dreamed of writing a book ( who hasn't?) but just don't know if I could make the commitment not knowing if it would ever reach publication...... X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, thank you for that. It does involve a bit of a risk, doesn't it? But the great thing is that it's been a lifelong ambition and I've achieved it now, which is a wonderful feeling! Write the book for yourself, if nothing else! Cheers, Lucy

      Delete
  2. So wonderful Lucy - the little and often is so true. Loved Jono's attempt to poach my birthday on the phone this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. January is just so far away! I'm so glad you didn't mind, especially considering I share my birthday with so many people!! And yes, little and often works a charm!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, inspiring post, Lucy; thanks! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabelle, a bit tongue in cheek in a way, because you need the time to do it in the first place!!

      Delete