Friday 3 October 2014

glass vases - a cautionary tale

We've gone from daffodils to freesias and the front garden is alive with the most delicious scents and sights - and in a vase just perfect for a picture or two.  What I didn't expect was to see the thin wisp of smoke that was sparked as the light from the glass hit the table!  Photography session over, freesias whipped over to the piano, well away from the window and a tiny dot of black char left behind on the wood as a memory.  I hate to think of what would have happened if I'd been out for the day.  The table is next to a large glass sliding door which has the sun coming in each afternoon.  I hadn't realised it could be such a hazard!

Have you seen something like this before with a vase?!  I would expect something like this from a magnifying glass, but this vase is quite round and had water in it - argh!

PS Can you see the smoke?  Bottom left-hand corner just above the spot of light.  Scary!

16 comments:

  1. I have heard similar stories, glass paperweights on windowsills etc, scarey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first experience of it! Scary indeed. One to share around...

      Delete
  2. Can you even imagine!? But, hey, you should definitely go on Survivor, Lucy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never in my life - but it's probably going to get me ahead in something like Survivor, though the would wonder why I turned up with a vase in my hand… (secret weapon!).

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I know! I am so relieved I was home, a sickening thought.

      Delete
  4. No way!!!! I would never have even thought of that! Dangerous, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Lisa, hope this saves you from something similar!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Imagine, Leonie! School holidays and we could have been anywhere… Very scary thought.

      Delete
  6. OMG that is actually really scary. I would never have thought that would happen Lucy - thank heavens you were there and caught it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary is the word for it, Son! Let's just say, I've learned a very important less on all of our behalves!!

      Delete
  7. I have had the same happen with a clear glass paperweight on a windowsill. I came into the house and I could smell...burning wood. I love seeing glass on the window sill but I wouldn't do it now. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nightmare Avril! I got the biggest fright of my life - and it's a big table, it would have made a very big fire!!

      Delete