Wednesday, 10 September 2014

this is home: reflections of our lives

Our home represents a visual collage of family, friends and ourselves.  In every vista another piece of our collective personalities is revealed - the abundant creativity of my sister in the image above, with a small sliver of her book, Stanley and the Hot Air Balloon showing beside a vintage edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  There's a gorgeous thrifted tea tray I found in an op shop showing my love of the hunt when it comes to all things pre-loved and adored; underneath a test glaze tile that belonged to my godmother from her ceramic days, a piece of art in itself.
Beside my bed, a magic pudding of books, endless and immensely satisfying.  A beautiful ceramic vase made by Joe when he was still potting - one of my most treasured possessions with its deep blue glaze reminiscent of the wild seas on the west coast of Ireland.  Our bed head was originally in the garden, one of two singles that is now pushed together and used as one.  They were lovely outside, but even better in my room - the two smaller ends are still under the apricot tree, but who knows, they may make their way inside eventually!
The second-hand glass cabinet came by way of a former workplace, sold when it became surplus to requirements - what a find!  It's so heavy that we have attached it to the wall with plasterboard anchors, not wanting to lose a child underneath or break the precious glass inside!  The beautiful painting on the right, out of view in the first image, is one of mum's and another favourite, its pinks and blues perfect against the white backdrop.  The orange bubble light was snapped up at a clearing sale on a farm out of town - let's not talk about the vintage mantelpiece that went for $20 to another bidder.  I would have fought for it had I been able to get it back to town!

What parts of your personality are revealed through the collage in your home?

10 comments:

  1. Lovely photo's! At the moment my home reveals my messy side....... X

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit like walking past someone's house when the lights have just been turned on without the curtains being drawn and you get a surreptitious glimpse of another life! So much of your 'story' is represented in this lovely photo! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have guessed you and Kate were sisters - due to the love of big piles of books - lol. Lovely photos thanks for sharing your home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are a bit of a giveaway!! Glad you've enjoyed the pics and the glimpse of our home.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos, Lucy! My home is full of second hand - as you say 'pre-loved' - stuff. I'm not one to go into a showroom and order a 'whole look' in one go; I like the interior of my house to develop over the years. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isabelle - embrace the pre-loved! One of my friends said I had eclectic taste and I said it was more hand-me-down chic than anything and completely unintentional!!

      Delete
  5. I love pre-loved, too. My daughter prefers second hand clothes because she of course if someone has loved a garment, it must be great. We have plenty of old furniture in the house from my in-laws home. The most revealing in my house is my collection of art. I have been trying to photograph some of it for my blog but it is not easy due to the glare of the glass.
    Back soon now that I am following you! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, Thanks for coming to visit! My kids are the same with their clothes, loving them because they have belonged to beloved cousins or friends - how sweet! I'm with you there on the art - it's so lovely to be able to say this was done by my godmother, mum, sister, friend etc! Look forward to seeing you again! Cheers, Lucy

      Delete