Friday, 19 September 2014

this is home: reality

Home is where textas, toilet rolls and glue sticks decorate the coffee table instead of attractively styled vignettes.  Lego and soft toys litter the floor, mismatched chairs sit side by side and children's pictures multiply into uncontrollable yet beautiful piles of paper all around.
Home is where children race home from school and disappear into their favourite books, warmed by the late afternoon sun.  School uniform discarded, afternoon tea devoured, flicking through pages surrounded by loved ones nearby who are doing just the same.
Home is where the light gets in and shines upon our dreams.  Where just over two years ago a bare patch of earth was transformed into the chaos and clutter it is today - in reality not always neat and clean but a haven for our family to grow and gather together as the years go by.

What is your favourite thing about home?

PS There are only a few more days left to enter the Stanley competition - please hop on over and enter before it's too late!!

16 comments:

  1. I love your sunny room! It is nice when the kids come home. Laura is the last one with me and as of next week, we will be doing high school on-line. It just works better for her. Hang on to those precious times. They grow up way too fast!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! We have lived in very dark houses until now and I still can't get enough of the light coming in. Best of luck with your new school adventure - hope it goes really well for you both! Cheers, Lucy

      Delete
  2. Lovely photo's and very 'real'! My favourite thing about my home is my family who populate it with their noise, mess, colour, chaeos and love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny! I guess it's hard to parent without becoming used to some kind of chaos!!

      Delete
  3. Your living room looks very homely and inviting. In my home I like the randomness and the lived-in feeling most. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The randomness of it all is very comforting isn't it Christina?! I love finding the notes and drawings everywhere, very cute!

      Delete
  4. I love this and can relate to the Lego and textas and general chaos that is home life. My home is never going to be in a home mag spread, but it's full of heart and colour. I wouldn't want it any other way, or perhaps I am just too lazy to tidy up :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's not because of laziness!!!! You could call it some kind of domestic art installation and justify it that way!

      Delete
  5. Your beautiful room just screams happy and warmth and it looks sooo inviting. The fave thing about my home is the collections of things made or gifted my loved ones or things that carry beautiful memories when I look at them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Son! I love the memories too - special to have these things to remind us of those we love.

      Delete
  6. I love your home - it's also the place where sisters from overseas drink copious amounts of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love yours, even though it's been tooooooo long since I was there! Such hard work getting that tea just so, the right amount of sugar and milk for you!! xox

      Delete
  7. ha laughing at Kates comment!! I'm a good old fashioned week black!! I love my home because its mine!! I can put a picture on the wall and no one else has to like it, I can hammer away, paint colours and to all sorts of juicy stuff and no one can tell me not to do it. FREEDOM!!
    (Buy the way, thats some very nice art on those there walls)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for tea anytime Leonie! Wouldn't that be lovely?! The hammering on walls is one of my favourite things to do - just finished another room's artwork last week, all finally hung after how long?!

      Delete
  8. I love the artwork on the wall with the chooks, what a lovely bright image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I have my clever godmother to thank for that one, it's one of my all-time favourites!

      Delete