Monday, 8 September 2014

the writer's edition: month 17 check-in

How do you like to settle in with a good book - lying in bed or on the couch?  Sitting outside
with the sun shining on your back or at a cafe, with a plate of delicious food at your reach?  
And so begins my process of editing as I would read.  With my manuscript in hand, I've been trying to replicate regular reading conditions.  It's less formal than sitting at a desk, but instructive all the same.  The pages may be A4 and unbound, but this process makes it feel almost like a real book.  The critical reader appears and it's easy to distance myself from the work, as though it's someone else's rather than my own.

This more relaxed process means I've been able to work with the kids rioting around me (inside or out), which isn't always easy to do!  I was also able to bundle up my manuscript and take it with me to a nearby town yesterday while Tom went to a birthday party.  I drove around until I found an open cafe (no mean feat on a Sunday afternoon) and sat by the window with a view of the lake.  I edited as I ate an early meal all by myself - indulgent, bliss and very productive!

 Do you work on the go?  Where's your favourite place to get things done?

PS  Textas are highly recommended for editing on the couch - have you ever tried to write with a pen half tilted upside-down?!

6 comments:

  1. I'm best either at my desk, on the couch or if it's a nice warm day, outside. I'm not one to sit in a cafe and read or type, I get too distracted 'people watching', (me not them)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first cafe visit, Jodi, channelling a bit of JK Rowling! It was really quiet, the nature of Sunday afternoon I suppose, which made it easy to not get distracted. It was also in another town to my own - I think I would feel a bit too self-conscious doing it here and would also have too many people to talk to! Something easier to do on the road!

      Delete
  2. Sounds fantastic, and exactlly the way I work. Editing I can do outside or in a cafe, but the 'real writing' I need to do alone at my desk. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the desk does have its purposes!It's so good to be sorting out where I can work though and the different scenarios that are possible with kids around!

      Delete
  3. Just want to say hi I'm a new follower and loving catching up with your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali! Thanks for coming to visit - I'm delighted to hear you've enjoyed my blog and thank you so much for signing up! Hope to see you again soon. Cheers, Lucy

      Delete