Tuesday, 23 September 2014

on the desk: tools for the final edit

I have another day's editing ahead of me.  For the past few weeks, I have enlisted the help of a childminder on Tuesdays so I can work uninterrupted for a good chunk of time.  It's the final edit stage so I really need to make sure everything is just right and more!  Essential tools for this stage - apart from the pure gold that is time to concentrate - are freshly brewed cups of tea and my pencil case, holder of the precious memory stick where I obsessively back up my work.  Without either of these items, there would be no book!

What do you always have on your desk?  Are you a stickler for looseleaf tea as well?!

6 comments:

  1. Always on my desk: notebooks with ideas for scenes etc, lots of pens, and a pile of books inspiring me at any given time. And always, always: a big mug of green tea and a tall glass of water. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a bit in-between the notebooks and loose scraps of paper - I like to be able to scribble thoughts on A4, but am experimenting with being more organised using system cards in a small folder - it might take a while to get used to!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the final edits, and the paranoia of losing the lot. Granted my writing is final-year University assignments, but I live by the rule "back it up eleventy million different ways'. Laptop, USB, Dropbox....surely between the three my assignments are safe?!

    All the best with your editing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you understand Tracy! And I think eleventy million different ways is just perfect! I email myself as well as the USB, plus I have my computer hard drive… hope that keeps my bases covered!

      Delete
  3. I don't have a desk so there's nothing I really need on it. But I do enjoy a cuppa if I'm really throwing myself into something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My desk is feral! It's always covered in so much crap all the time. But there is always multiple notepads and pens in very close reach because I love to jot things down as I work. I've tried electronic note-taking and it's not for me. Old-school handwritten note taking it is!
    (Visiting on behalf of #teamIBOT today x)

    ReplyDelete