Thursday, 4 September 2014

meanwhile in quarantine: reading and watching

The kids and I hibernated during our virus.  Every now and then, mum arrived and threw a bag of groceries in the front door, not daring to come near us.  As the days wore on, there was some wall climbing by the younger members of the family.  My older sister's voice rang in my ears, 'Break all the rules.'  I did - and rented The Lego Movie via iTunes, a first in our household and a great success.  Unfortunately it was another 24 hours until the next movie screened - artistic differences between the two older kids regarding choice, unresolved until the next day!

While they watched, I read.  An American in Oz, Sara James's memoir of her move from New York to the Wombat State Forest, provides wonderful insight into the surprisingly difficult transition between two English speaking countries and the quirks of Australian country life.  It also explores life with special needs, the search for answers and how best to educate and care for someone in that situation.  This book seems to have slipped under the radar, undeservedly so, and deserves accolades for such honest and inspiring prose.

The Art of Baking Blind by Sarah Vaughan on its own would be up there with the good reads of 2014.  It was, however, pipped by Delicious, Ruth Reichl's first foray into fiction - I haven't read anything else of hers but am assured they make excellent fodder, pardon the pun!  Josephine Moon's The Tea Chest spans London and Brisbane and the friendships that develop as the story unfolds.  It sets up a shop I would love to visit in real life, perhaps they might come to my town?!  A big shout out for the beautiful cover featuring beautiful chinaware, soft colours and bunting which runs on to the spine - just gorgeous!

At night, when Joe was home, I crawled out of bed and watched television.  We love a great series - Friday Night Lights, Rake, Crownies, Mad Men, Girls and more.  Nashville is right up there and it was fantastic to receive the second part of series one - who would have thought they would be boxed separately?  At least I will know for next time!  I'm loving the music from this too - Connie Britton, Hayden Panettiere and cast do an amazing job behind the microphone and what a clever way for the producers to earn more money from the show - well deserved too!  Orange is the New Black also arrived during this time, life in an American women's prison.  It's billed as a 'dramedy' and teeters between the two genres - harsh and dramatic one minute, comedic and hilarious the next - well worth a view.

So much watching and reading but, really, I consider it important research for my own writing! Just like Stephen King said, 'If you don't have time to read, you don't have time to write' - surrounding myself with high quality reading and viewing material is educational, instructional and inspirational.  And how else would I spend a fortnight with the flu, or whatever it was that we had?  Whatever else would I have done with my time?!

Have you read or watched anything on this list?
What should I seek out next?!

12 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good pile of great books! Especially when you're sick! Especially when all three children are sick too! I've just begun Delicious and it seems really good. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Thought you'd already read it, or was it just to be read?!

      Delete
  2. Lucy, just wondering whether you got round to A Homemade Life and what you thought of it...
    I haven't read any of these, but they sure sound good. Is The Art of Baking Blind a novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabelle! I still have it on the bedside table, a few other books were due before it. Hopefully I will be able to read it this weekend. Yes, The Art of Baking Blind is a novel - it was good, but I feel the other one (Delicious) was even better. I think you'd like it, but let me know what you think if you do get around to reading it. Cheers, Lucy

      Delete
  3. That is quite a pile you have made your way through! Hope you are all feeling better now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one of many!! The kids and I are on the mend, but now my husband has finally got it - argh!

      Delete
  4. Hope everyone is much better now, so sorry to hear you have all been ill X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, it hasn't been much fun - and I've missed my blog too!! Lovely to hear from you again!

      Delete
  5. I've read The Violets of March' - will be interested to know what you think about it. And a few interesting looking books there to follow up, thank you... I think! If I could tear myself away from my reading I might be able to get on with my writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Edwina, thanks for coming to visit! I enjoyed The Violets of March, definitely a beach read but that's what you need sometimes - nothing taxing, especially when I wasn't feeling well. I don't think you can write well without reading well, so enjoy it and consider it all research!

      Delete
  6. Thanks heavens for movies huh to get us through the sick days.. or weeks as you poor things have had. I do hope the new week brings good health for you guys xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia! The movies were a great success and a huge help!

      Delete