Thursday, 25 September 2014

a scrap fabric bunting transformation

My sewing machine enjoyed a full work out yesterday from the patchwork flag to fixing our living room curtains and this scrap fabric bunting.  I have drawers full of leftovers in all shapes and size just waiting for a project like this.  It was all very easy to construct with the help of my iron and the 'good' pair of scissors I prepared my shapes before sewing them double-sided on the machine.
As with yesterday, Jono wasn't keen on standing still for a photo with the bunting and Soph stood in for him.  She is showing you her favourite piece of material on the wall, which matches the little doll cushion I made for her a few years ago.  Sophie was laughing so much when I took the shot that her eyes closed, unintentionally mimicking the cushion - that's what I call perfect photographic timing!
Another glimpse - Jono is so happy to have something up on his walls.  They have been looking dull for too long, just waiting for me to have time to do the job.  He's delighted with the transformation but wants more, more, more.  The pressure is on now to come up with the goods.  Help!

Did your household have a 'good' pair of scissors when you were younger?

Were you like me and couldn't understand why I wasn't allowed to cut paper 
with them, especially when they did such a good job?!




12 comments:

  1. I still find myself calling out "Not with the good scissors".... Jonno's room looks transformed. He must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are in a fortress of a cupboard!! Jono is v happy with his room, but wants more, more, more!

      Delete
  2. We had crimping scissors which I always wanted to use for paper but were only used to cut fabric. Loving the bunting! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why my crimping scissors are blunt, but I only have myself to blame there!

      Delete
  3. We have a scissor hidey hole somewhere in our house, where all scissors, good and bad, disappear into. I have yet to find it. I keep a pair of good scissors in my underwear drawer because that's about the only place where in the house my children won't look for them. The bunting is lovely, I might just have to make some myself. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My good ones are properly hidden (by me) but the others are easy to find - anywhere you want to walk, there will be a pair of scissors under foot! Mr 3 (Jono) is the worst offender, just drops them when he's finished with them! Please let me know if you make bunting, would love to see!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Aw shucks Leonie - thank you! So easy without patterns, just making things up as I go along!

      Delete
  5. We had good scissors when I was a kid, and I have a pair now. My kids know not to touch them lest they suffer my wrath. Love the bunting, I made some Christmas Bunting a few years back which I get out each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the good pair have to be under lock and key to keep them safe!! Christmas Bunting sounds beautiful!

      Delete
  6. That is the cutest bunting! Yes I have good scissors... I am on to m second pair and they are hidden away as the last pair were destroyed after being used to cut pipe cleaners. gah! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! They must have been very tempting when the pipe cleaners were around. Glad you've been able to replace them!!!

      Delete