Monday 18 August 2014

why I didn't marry the boy next door

Overseas many years ago, I was told that when I got back to Australia, I should go and introduce myself to the boy next door.  The advice was given by a guy from the Northern Hemisphere who was married to a Kiwi and he said life was far simpler that way.  Ignoring his advice, I eventually met and married an Irishman, commenced our life together over there and moved back to Australia nine years ago.  While it's not always ideal, marrying someone from another country means you end up with family and friends on both sides of the world and a life that's all the richer from your chosen path.  We wouldn't change it for the world.

As for the boy next door, I didn't ever really meet him, but I'm pretty sure he was a real dork - and a teenager, which would have been quite awkward, given that I was in my twenties at the time…

Do you live between two countries?  Are they kind of close by like, say, Australia and New Zealand or do they requires hours in a tin can cruising from one hemisphere to the other?  

Better yet, did you marry the boy/girl next door?  Should I have gone and introduced myself after all?!

PS Joe arrived home last night to much excitement and relief from us all - pictures from our new point and shoot Nikon S3600 which did a fabulous job of capturing local sights and scenes.

8 comments:

  1. I was always fascinated by the 'boy next door' concept as a child/ teenager, as we lived very rurally and had no neighbours atall! The idea of living right next door to someone was so foreign to me. I didn't marry a boy next door, but did meet my husband on a blind date, does that count?! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember gazing up and down the street rather hopefully when I was quite young!! Actually Joe was a kind of blind date (out at pub with friends), think it has to have its own category!!

      Delete
  2. As you know, I grew up in NZ and I'm sad to say that in the 25 years I've lived (very happily) in the Netherlands, I've never been back. It's just been too far and too expensive. But I hope to take my family there withing the next 5 years. Having said that though: I thankfully have no regrets abouts the choices I've made. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you manage to get back one day - it's just lovely, as you well know, and is a very long way away! It's good to feel that you're doing what you want to be doing and living where you want to be, no regrets.

      Delete
  3. We left NZ Auckland 28 years ago and i still pine for home. With a family here we can't go back. I visit home every year to see my dad and brother and his family. Been married 30 years now, better the devil you know than the devil you don't xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how much you'd miss it Rae, NZ is just beautiful. Glad you get to go home so often, which must help to some degree. 30 years married - wow! No mean feat!

      Delete
  4. Browsing through old posts on a lazy morning. My next door neighbour was my sandpit friend and I don't think we have ever been attracted to each other.... I met my husband on the Cape Cod in Massachusetts, USA. His home was in Oregon, mine in Switzerland. Now we live in Scotland. Our families are in Switzerland, England and Australia. Quite some travelling, but we haven't made it to Australia yet. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like there are pieces of your heart all over the world Christina! I hope you make it to Australia one day! I lived in Scotland years ago and loved it - such a beautiful place!

      Delete