Tuesday 5 August 2014

the writer's edition: month 16 check-in

It seems that I should be popping corks and throwing streamers - this month I achieved my word count of 80,000.  Since then, I've been working through each chapter to ensure every word and action is playing its part in the telling of the story.  As I strengthen some parts, I'm then able to see weaknesses and sections for deletion.  It's an ongoing process, but one I keep working on day by day.  Meanwhile, the plot for 'Novel number 2' is forming away in my mind and I'm excited to think there will be another project coming up next.

Last month, I said I would be attending Faber Academy's Getting Published workshop in Melbourne led by Allen & Unwin's group publishing director, Sue Hines.  It was a fabulous opportunity to hear insights from someone with over 30 years' experience in the industry.  Sue's warm and open personality really broke down the barriers between writer and publisher.  The relationship between both is that of professionals with each side expected to live up to their ends of the bargain.  As to the big question of whether to write a novel, the only way you can know is by doing just that.  A chapter or two may be wonderfully written, but the question is whether you can sustain interest for the length of a book - fingers crossed that is possible!  If you're a budding Australian writer, I would highly recommend this course.

Have you written a full length manuscript before?
If so, have you moved on to 'Novel number 2'?
What did you do differently second time around?

4 comments:

  1. Well Done! Wonderful achievement. 80,000 words, how fabulous. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! Now comes the fun part of wrestling it all together and getting it into shape!

      Delete
  2. 80,000 words! (Loud cheering over here).
    Regarding your questions: I hope to be confronted by all this in the coming year. I'm not sure why, but I firmly believe my second manuscript will take less time to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'd love to know exactly how many words have been written and edited out, at least 20,000 if not more! And yes, I'm optimistic that the second will be a faster process using the skills I've picked up this time around.

      Delete