Thursday 7 August 2014

motherhood - outsourcing time for yourself

Earlier this year I started to think there was no way I would reach my word target of 80,000.  It seemed too hard to juggle my writing around Jono's small amount of kindergarten when there were other jobs vying for my attention.  The less likely this looked, I started to push back.  I carved out time for myself and found those elusive hours: after breakfast, once the kids are at school, a quick spell while I'm cooking dinner (handy to have the computer in the kitchen/living room).  Since then, it's all added up and equalled the magic number, the one I set for myself last year.

Now I have reached the goal, I'm in editing mode.  It's not as easy to fit in here and there as it requires full concentration.  How can I do it when I need to muster every single thought and focus on this serious task?  Outsourcing - that's right, but not the editing, the child!  I've been able to book in a much-in-demand local carer for the next three Tuesdays.  She's great at what she does and just what I need to have some chunks of time to edit.  It's not a permanent commitment, but it's part of recognising when I need extra help to get things done.

In the same vein of taking time for myself, I've started taking tennis lessons again.  I had them when I was younger and played through school, but never as a serious contender.  I'm pretty uncoordinated really, but I love the game.  The kids recently started lessons and I'd heard there were adult sessions earlier in the afternoon.  My first was a couple of days ago and it was fantastic.  It wasn't just the playing part or the exercise, but being able to concentrate on something and not have to keep looking to see that the kids were okay.

When the teacher asked how I was feeling, I said it was exhilarating - that I bet he'd never heard that word on a Tuesday afternoon.  He said that, funnily enough, he has and that I have to get out more!  As I drove to school pick up I thought about his comment and agreed that, yes, I really should make the effort to do things for myself.  As mothers we can get so focussed on our families, we forget to nurture ourselves.  From now on, I'm going to make more time for me - because being a mother shouldn't mean that we get lost in the process.

PS My picture above, with a little bit of motivation for you!

14 comments:

  1. Great to have found the reliable care! And so good about the tennis too! Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for yourself does slowly return as your children grow up, but I agree it's important to try and find time for yourself when they are small. For me it was my monthly book group; a slender lifeline to the brain that I knew was still in there somewhere! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know Penny! I'm glad you found your 'out' as well, especially with books.

      Delete
  3. You are so, so right Lucy! Good for you for arranging a carer for your child.
    Funnily enough I have also just discovered tennis too and love it. There's a great club just down my street (literally) and I'm also taking lessons. Us ladies need to get out there and get physically active; it makes you feel so much better xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it all works out, great to know I can have something on a casual basis. Can't believe you're doing tennis too - it's fantastic!

      Delete
  4. Very true. We get so caught up and forget about ourselves and feeding our own souls. Good on you. And good luck with the editing - it's so much more time consuming that the writing I find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi - I'm really looking forward to this time. And the editing is time consuming isn't it? Trying to get everything right!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I did take time for myself, every Friday afternoon, which I've just had to give up for my husband has started part time study as well as work. I can vouch for the fact that taking time for oneself does make a huge difference. I'm missing it! Hope the edit goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you Kate! I hope you manage to find it again! Thanks for the vote of support for the edit, I will need it.

      Delete
  6. Oh so very true - we do need to make more time for ourselves and kick that guilt to the curb. My wagging day proved to get me out of a slump so I am all for making it a regular thing. So glad you have found someone awesome to outsource too so you get to concentrate on the editing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to hearing your wagging adventures Son! I'm really looking forward to the outsourcing, might make it a permanent thing!

      Delete
  7. I'm trying to take some time for myself in the seven weeks before baby number two is due...because I know that in seven weeks, with two under two there will be little time for me! Stopping by from the weekend rewind - shari from www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy those next coming weeks - it does get trickier with more than one to get that time for yourself, at least you are mindful of that from the beginning, which help! Best of luck with it all.

      Delete