Wednesday 6 August 2014

cardboard loom weaving for kids

Sophie came home from school yesterday with her first cardboard loom weaving project.  I've mentioned before that they have the most amazing art room and teacher and this makes me love them more and more!  A dedicated artist, Soph has worked away at her weaving and finished first thing this morning.  We've been on YouTube and found a tutorial we can do after school - it looks like something we'll be able to set up ourselves and get her going on the next one.  Sophie says she is happy about it because it's her first time and she has got a lot done.  She had a lot of fun and can't wait to learn more.
I'm particularly delighted to see Sophie working on this project as I worked for a weaver in Ireland many moons ago.  I worked in accounts and administration rather than on the creative side, but also spent a bit of time on the shop floor.  The looms were in the shop and tourists loved to come in and watch the weavers at work.  It's based in Dingle, Co Kerry, so if you're ever in Ireland, I would highly recommend taking a look.  Incidentally, Joe worked for the weaver's husband at this pottery so it was a wonderfully creative family to be involved with.

Are you a weaver or do you know any people still weaving today?
Are there any simple projects you would recommend for my budding creator?
And can you understand my relief that we've moved on from loom bands to cardboard looms?!

6 comments:

  1. She is such a clever bunny isn't she! I'm so impressed she managed to finish it so quickly and beautifully. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sophie's colour choice. I attended school in Stornoway (Western Isles, Scotland) for 2 years, and every morning I passed weaving sheds where Harris Tweed was being woven. These were usually small sheds in the back gardens of the weavers. A true cottage industry. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How amazing, Penny! I wonder how they do it now? Hopefully it is still handmade on site.

      Delete
  3. My kids will love this - looming is all the rage here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much nicer than finding those little rubber bands all over the house! Have had to take them out of both Jono's and the dog's mouths - they are so tempting!

      Delete