Tuesday, 22 July 2014

writing milestones: celebrating achievements

Do you believe in celebrating your achievements?  I do.

Last night I achieved my goal of 80,000 words on my manuscript.  I set myself the target in March 2013, originally aiming to reach it 12 months later.  The deadline flew out the window.  As far as SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-Oriented) goals, the achievable factor was limited by actual hours in the day vs life in general.  I've said it before, but my writing occurs in pockets of time (right now, after breakfast, one child out the door to school and the next due to leave in an hour).

In terms of whether my manuscript will ever actually get published, who knows?  It's certainly my aim.  If I don't succeed this time, then maybe the next one will do better.  I just know that I have to take a minute to whoop about a bit and say, I did it!  I have actually achieved what I set out to do.  When the first draft is scrubbed and polished and I'm happy to call it completely finished, I've promised my family we'll go out for dinner.  Celebrations don't have to be limited to the end product, especially when you don't know what form that end product will take.

Celebrate the steps, both big and small.  Enjoy your successes, no matter what form they take.

4 comments:

  1. What a great personal achievement. Well done, you are right to be proud and what a steep learning curve you have been on., but with wonderful results. It sets such a positive example to others too, that with perseverance, we can achieve our goals. Enjoy your celebratory dinner! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! There's still a lot to do before I declare the first draft complete, but it's certainly heading in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, Lucy. I know all about those deadlines that fly out of the window. I had originally planned to be a celebrated author by now ;-) but hey, who know's what's still to come :-)

    I completely agree with celebrating achievements, and reaching 80,000 words is certainly one of them, so good for you. And remember: many, many great authors were initially rejected goodness knows how many times, but what eventually made them successful was their perseverance and belief in their own work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadlines schmeadlines?! Too hard at this stage, but hopefully will get easier over the years. Yes, I was meant to have my first book published by the age of 30! That passed a decade ago… But yes, I think every milestone needs to be celebrated, an acknowledgement of effort. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete