Friday, 25 July 2014

recent reading, viewing and books on the go… july 2014

It's been a Nashville and Girls fest this month.  I loved Connie Britton in Friday Night Lights (not to mention Coach Taylor mmmmmmmmm) and she's just as wonderful in this new-to-me series.  It's a brilliant story revolving around Britton, an older singer, having to stake her claim against an up-and-coming juggernaut in the form of Hayden Panettiere - great soundtrack, fabulous cast, love it!  Season two of Girls is darker than the first, but fantastic all the same. Lena Dunham is amazing - this series has further extended her acting abilities even though at times it makes for gruesome watching (cotton bud anyone?!).  On an aside, I googled Adam Driver, her on-off love interest in the show, and found he's in an upcoming movie with Connie Britton - wow!  Watch out for This is where I leave you, it looks as though it's going to be amazing!
Reading-wise, I'm almost beat by the glut of books on my bedside table.  This is just a small selection, so be another catch up soon!  The From-Aways by CJ Hauser features two new arrivals in a coastal Maine town, trying to find their place in an established fishing village.  Old meets new with not always successful results.  How Lucky You Are, Kristyn Kusek Lewis focusses around Waverly and her friends Kate and Amy.  I'm still reading this, lugging it around the house with me for whenever I get a quiet moment.  A lovely novel about friendship, a fabulous debut.  I must also give a shout out to Claire Brown who designed the beautiful cover - it's just gorgeous - see the detail in the spine alone.  Funnily enough I've been too busy to read Busy yet, but I'm looking forward to getting some tips!

I think I'll have to lie low on the reserves for a while or I'll never get through these books!

What have you been reading lately?  Do you have a glut like me, all of them equally enticing, or are you facing a book drought?

6 comments:

  1. Always a book feast in my house, never a famine! My 'to read' pile grows and grows.....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I've got an enormous pile on my bedside table too - I'm waiting for it to topple over! Some authors: Katherine Mansfield, Janet Frame, Aldous Huxley, John Dos Passos, Ian McEwan, plus some Dutch and Flemmish authors and books on simple living and mindfulness. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished another one of the weekend, now it's on to the next. The reminder notices from the library though… argh!

      Delete
  3. I have reached the bottom of my pile for the first time in 6 months! I am eagerly awaiting my book order for some more entertainment. Enjoy reading your August choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some serious reading going on here at the moment! Must get a lot of these books back to the library before I'm banned!!

      Delete