Wednesday, 2 July 2014

recent reading, viewing and books on the go

There's been an explosion of fabulous books and DVDs from the library.  Every now and then I have a moment like this where all the good stuff comes in at once - this recent influx follows a long drought of average reads, so it's been terrific.  Help! for Writers is a wonderful resource with great tips about tightening up your writing, whether fiction or non-fiction.  I've since found another book by the same author (Roy Peter Clark), featured below - Writing Tools: 50 essential strategies for every writer.  This will join the other one in going on my 'must buy' list.  Have just started watching Girls - what a find!!  Late to the party on this one, but had to wait for it to come into the library.  How I live now was very tightly filmed and comes highly recommended.
David McCullough's You are not special originated from a commencement speech at Wellesley High School.  Footage of the event went viral as people debated the message McCullough gave his students. It's definitely thought-provoking stuff about the way we treat our kids today.  One of my best reads in 2014 so far is Mistakes I made at work: 25 influential women reflect on what they got out of getting it wrong.  Edited by Jessica Bacal, an eclectic group of women tell their stories - essential for anyone in, or anyone who's been in, the workplace - also a great resource for people beginning their careers.  This must read shows the power of admitting you're wrong and what to do next.
Billie Templar's War has been published to rave reviews - I'm only a few pages in, but enjoying it so far.  The kids have recently discovered Tom Gates - my Tom was given one of the series for his birthday and loved it, then generously let Sophie read it too!  They were delighted to find more through our library system.  Graphic Design x 100 features recent design from around the world - amazing work.  The Australian Writers Marketplace 2013 is chock full of information about publishing opportunities throughout the country - starting to wonder what next for my writing.  I'm still editing and think this process will take quite some time, but I'd like to be ready for the next step!

As always, all books featured come from our local library's network throughout Victoria - I order them online and just have to pick them up from the reserves shelf when they come in - great stuff!

What have you been reading lately?  Is there room on my bedside table for more?

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one big pile of books to read! I am intrigued by "Mistakes I made at work" and might have a closer look. Enjoy your July reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Christina, would you believe I picked up even more from the library the other day and they all look great too?! The book about Mistakes is fabulous, just for life really, doesn't even have to apply to the workforce. Great stuff! Thanks for visiting! Cheers, Lucy

      Delete
  2. Oh I love looking at people's reading and watching piles! I have Series 1 of Girls waiting to be watched too - just waiting for some actual time...I'm about to start reading Lost and Found - first novel by Australian author, Brooke Davis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I'm loving Girls - our whole street can probably hear me laugh when we watch it, more of the 'oh my god' kind of laugh which you will understand when you see it! I' ve heard great things about Lost and Found, am looking forward to reading it - did you catch Brooke Davis on Australian Story?

      Delete
  3. Phew! That's an impressive and interesting looking pile :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Petra! It's just what I like to look at, so nice after a drought of average reads!

      Delete
  4. I don't think there's any more room on your bedside table, no. Hahaha. We've just finished watching Season 1 of Fargo, brilliant. And I've almost finished reading The Book Thief, but I'm not too taken by it to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed the start of Fargo, think I'll have to get it on DVD now. Haven't read The Book Thief, disappointing to think you're not enjoying it after all the hype. I will have to try and track a copy down. At the moment, am reading We are Called to Rise and I'm loving it!

      Delete
  5. Nope I dont think you could fit any more on your bedside lol. How do you find the time to read all of them? Do you actually sleep? :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe it's grown since that picture?! I do think I might be beat this time though and will have to order some again!

      Delete