Tuesday, 8 July 2014

must read: we are called to rise

Don't you love finding books so beautifully written that you want to rush to read them, but force yourself to slow down so you can savour them for longer?  We are called to rise, the debut novel from Laura McBride, is one such book.  There are four narrators whose stories become interconnected, brought together through a terrible tragedy.  In her author's note, McBride says "the one thing that almost kept me from writing my story was that is was so unbearably sad" - well, I'm glad it didn't stop her, otherwise the world would have missed out on writing as exquisite as this:

'It all matters.  That someone turns out the lamp…tells the story honestly, acknowledges help, gives credit… wipes the counter, waits at the yellow, makes the bed… accepts the consequences, takes a stand, steps up, offers a hand, goes first, goes last, chooses the small portion, teaches the child, tends the dying'

This is condensed from a much larger paragraph (p197) and it's one of the best pieces of fictional writing I've read in a long time.  McBride is a community college teacher and writer and I hope it won't be long before her next novel is on the shelves - not the library's next time, but on my own!

Have you read it?  I'd love to know what you think too - please leave a comment below!

4 comments:

  1. I have added this to my list! Love your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I'd pass it on but I think it's a bit overdue - woops!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Isabelle, please pop back and let me know!

      Delete