Monday, 28 July 2014

fiction writing: research

Authenticity is essential in writing, whether fiction or non-fiction.  My novel-in-progress has required a surprising amount of research, some of it still in progress.  I've had to look up things from the expected baby weight at four months, to what team Geelong played on 7 September 2013 and whether it was a home game.  Politics-wise, I needed to know when Kevin Rudd got back in and the date of the 2013 federal election.  It turned out that the Geelong-Fremantle home game, which two of my characters attend, coincided with the election, which meant a trip in advance to the polling station to vote…

I'm attempting to place these details lightly in the background of my novel, rather than actually naming dates, for example.  The baby weight is mentioned in a visit with the maternal child health nurse and is used to illustrate the scene.  There's also a coastal getaway associated with the Geelong-Fremantle match and it had to fit in with the male character's leave from the mines.  All very complicated, which is why I also have a 2013 calendar printed out and highlighted on my desk!

Do you write?  Where do you start with your research and how do you keep track of it all?

4 comments:

  1. So recognisable - there's lots of little details I'm having to check / look up for my manuscript. I keep a wee notebook especially for this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A notebook sounds great! I have heaps of notes to myself on the desk to follow up, next time I will start with a dedicated book from the beginning...

      Delete
  2. Yes! I think the research was the most unexpected part of writing for me. It's full on! I have notes in scrivener, I have dedicated bookmarks in my browser and I have a notebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bookmarks in the browser are great aren't they, not as organised as I'd like them to be at the moment! Always rushing - it comes back at you in the end, doesn't it?!

      Delete