Monday, 14 July 2014

family chores: helping around the house

Inside a home, there's always something to be done.  One of our old family friends said that whenever she visited my own childhood home, there was always someone doing the dishes!  These days, my kids are lucky to live in a house with a dishwasher and the older two usually split the work between them - Tom (11) takes the top tier with glasses and breakables while Sophie (7 1/2) does the bottom.  Yesterday, Jono found the dishwasher filled with clean dishes and decided to tackle the job himself.  I was writing at the time, so I had full view of the kitchen and could supervise as he went about his work.  At 3 1/2 I thought this was something to be encouraged!  As parents, we can underestimate how capable our kids are - and often, the fact that the kids actually do want to help. 
Yesterday we made the most of the sunshine and had a barbeque for lunch.  Tom made a salad inside, then helped cooking the sausages.  When Sophie suggested we eat outside, she then took it upon herself to set the table and brought out cutlery and condiments for our meal.  At the end, the kids cleared everything inside and it was a real treat to not have to do anything (apart from caramelise onions, but I considered that a necessity!).  Now we're getting back into the term, the kids make their own school lunches and pack their bags - a great help in the busy mornings.  Joe and I consider it's all part of raising independent and resilient kids - and it looks like it's working!

What chores do your kids chip in with around the house?  How do you encourage their participation?

4 comments:

  1. So cute - Tom looks like Joe! Love me. xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is soooooooo like him! Mannerisms and all, looking very cute like his dad!

      Delete
  2. So good to get the kids involved in housework at a young age. I always say things like 'it's so nice to take care of the house together - come and help me out.' It actually makes them feel important and a part of things. They help with tidying up and laying / clearing the table. I should involve them more in food preparation, though. This peek into your house looks lovely, by the way xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think it really helps to put it into context of, well we could do this fun thing afterwards if we all chip in and help with these other not-so-fun things! That we're all part of a team...

      Delete