Wednesday, 4 June 2014

the writer's edition: month 14 check-in

The end is nigh!  Little efforts here and there have added up to a total of 70,000 words this month.  I've printed out the manuscript again in its entirety and am doing another run through, making sure everything is where it's meant to be.  I continue to work on this both manually and on the computer - it just suits the way I work, I have to read and edit on paper, then make adjustments to the document as I go along.

I've finally moved past editing Chapter 1 - it's taken so many rewrites to get it to this point and I'm sure I'll be looking at it again, but it's almost there.  The second chapter is the focus of my attentions for now - it has to be just right to keep moving the action forward.  It's satisfying, exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time.  And something of a feat, considering most of my work is done with small people running around in the background!!

I have to keep reminding myself to just move on - all writers are faced with decisions of 'what comes next' and at some point, they've had to make their choices and stick with them.  Endlessly changing and rearranging means their work would never have been finished.  Once I have a manuscript complete - from start to finish - I will be able to assess then whether it all makes sense.  This is also the point at which I'll bring in my first readers for their opinions too.

And then?  The next project!  There are a few floating around - some have a sentence or more written down already, some are still merely thoughts in my mind - but I just have to pick one and stick to it, starting this whole process again.  It might even be a matter of starting a few of these pieces - maybe even getting a few chapters in - before deciding what comes next.  Another adventure, whichever path I take!

Until next month!

(PS Always something in the centre of the dining table - these chrysanthemums were a big feature over Easter, at the moment there are paper cranes.  And yes, usually sprinklings of dust - I can't be expected to write and do everything!!)

6 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog, but what a lovely name. Your flowers look lovely, and dust what dust?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and your kind comment. My son's excited realisation a couple of years ago that it was almost stone fruit season came just at the time I was naming my blog…very serendipitous. 'My Yellow Heart' is equally lovely - look forward to popping over for a visit!

      Delete
  2. Go you good thing! Well done. And those flowers are stunning. How beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was very exciting, but perhaps you might have to read today's post to see what's been happening since that blog post!

      Delete
  3. Exciting! Well done for sticking with it. I know it's been tricky at times but your wow moment is near.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks to you for being one of my earliest supporters!! I guess because I'm getting so close to that moment, I'm becoming more and more picky about what makes the final cut. It's meant a drastic reduction in word count over the past few days, but all for the good of the story… today's blog post explains more!

      Delete