Friday, 13 June 2014

owning who you are...

Last March I came out on this blog as a would-be novelist.  I then told a few of my friends that I was writing, but have mainly kept it to myself.  It seems easier to admit to a new job or area of study than to your creative hopes and dreams, but I knew I needed to take that step.  Yesterday I announced on my personal facebook page that I'm 60,000 words into my first full-length manuscript (yes, I'm aware that my blog post a couple of days ago had a total count of 67,000 but that word terminator is harsh!!).

In the interests of really owning who I am, I've also created myself a Twitter account, started on Instagram and created a writer page on Facebook.  Phew!  Thankfully the reception from my own Facebook page has been overwhelmingly positive.  My brother said he didn't know why I had to officially out myself, he knows I'm a writer anyway!  But there's a difference, isn't there, when you lay your dearest hopes out to the world for them to see.

The website will be next, although it's going to take a longer period of time.  I'm going to have to research domain names, hosts, designs…  big steps ahead, but I'm ready!  If you've gone through this process before, I'd love to hear your advice, tips and any wisdom you may have.  Also, if you can recommend a designer and other experts it would be much appreciated - it always helps to have a personal recommendation.

Hope this week has been kind to you and you've managed to keep warm and dry - although I must say, it's been great to get some rain.  I think we've lived too long with drought to wish the wet stuff would come back again another day - because we know some times it doesn't!

(PS Unrelated pic of detail from beautiful ceramic mural near here)

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Carla, thanks for your interest! It's about a a new mum struggling with motherhood and a husband working away from home. As things progress, her difficulties increase, leading to an almost fatal conclusion. I'm still working on the wording of my 'elevator pitch' so it will be refined over time!!

      Delete
  2. It s a bit scary when you come out to your friends and family with your writing isnt it. Go you good thing though. I think it is awesome xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very scary!! Thank you for your encouragement, it's so lovely to hear!

      Delete
  3. I just can't imagine writing that many words - then I realise I have been blogging for a million years, so maybe I already have. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you'd be surprised!! They do get a little unwieldy and it can be tricky keeping them all in order. Am having to become very organised to do this - not something you'd generally associate with creativity!

      Delete