Tuesday, 13 May 2014

the writer's edition: month 13 check-in

My new habit of writing whenever I can has paid off this month.  I've now reached a total of 65,000 words, leaving 15,000 to go before I achieve my target.  This is very much a first draft and no matter how I try to shape the text, it often wants to do its own thing.  It's the evolution of the storyline - going from something I've envisaged to developing in its own right.  This is a combination of character development and plot and is just as interesting to me as the reader as it unfolds.

It's been fantastic to realise that while I don't feel as though I've written an enormous amount, I've added over 6000 words since the start of April - amazing!  The main time I'm able to sneak in a bit of writing is between breakfast and my shower.  By then, Tom has left the house and there's quite a stretch before Sophie leaves for school.  There's usually some kind of chaos going on in the background, made easier if Jono and Soph are playing in one of the bedrooms, however I don't always have that luxury!

This next month's goal - apart from the ever-growing word count - is to keep working with my main characters and letting them take me where they want to go.  Currently they're acting as joint narrators, however  I'm not sure whether this will happen in the final draft - it's something I'll continue with for now and see how it evolves.  There's also a cast of minor characters that changes to suit the storyline - I wonder how many of them will make the final cut?!

Until next month...

(Chinese lanterns picked from the garden - looking stunning right now!)

4 comments:

  1. Wow - what an incredible journey you are on with your writing and I love the way you are letting it take the direction it naturally wants to go. Those flowers by the way - stunning x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonia! It's been a long journey and by no means finished, but it's great to be reaching the end of the first draft.

      Delete
  2. Well done on your writing! I find I'm good at reaching goals by making small steps at a time. Love the vibrant colour of the flowers too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I think the small steps are finally starting to sink in! It's taken a long time to realise everything doesn't happen at once...

      Delete