Wednesday, 7 May 2014

knowing when your family is complete...

Last week I said a final goodbye to my remaining baby paraphernalia - the cot, high chair, Bumbo and one of the prams were donated to the local church fete.  It was a farewell that needed to be said, an acknowledgement that my baby days are over - a decision that's been firmly considered and agreed on between Joe and I for quite some time.
We're both from large families - I'm one of four and Joe is fifth out of six children.  We both thought four would be a good number and planned on that for quite some time.  When Jono (our third) was a baby, he was the most beautiful thing and we thought he definitely needed another brother or sister.
Now that the children are older - Tom is soon to be 11, Sophie is 7 1/2 and Jono is 3 - we know that our family is complete.  I can hold a baby without pangs and longing and I know with absolute certainty that we are done.  In a funny way, it's like the lead up to having your first baby, when the midwives would say that you'd just know you were in labour…  when your baby days are over, you just know.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I can remember this decision in our family. My husband was from a family of 17 and I was one of 4. I wanted four children but we made the decision to stop after two. It was a good decision. :-)
    Though not an easy one. Now I'm waiting to hold my first grandchild - not conceived yet, except in my mind <3
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - 17! I can see the decision for 2 could have been tough. It's funny - I've had the thought of grandchildren too - they will be the next babies I hold that are so closely related to me!!

      Delete
  2. I have read a few blogs now where 3 is the lucky finishing number. Im about to have my 3rd and I am planning on 4 or possibly 5..Iiieeeee. Mums from 6, Dad 11 and me 4 so I feel I want a big family too. Interesting indeed.....I love that the live traffic feed says im from Merrijig in Victoria. Close. I will correct and say Benalla. h aha!! Lovely blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having lots of siblings is certainly a big influence!! Good luck with no. 3 - hope you're managing lots of rests when you can! The traffic feed is funny - I'm not quite sure where it says I come from.

      Delete