Monday, 7 April 2014

working differently...

I started 2014 with massive expectations - two mornings per week would see Jono at kinder, giving me time to work on my novel.  I didn't get through a full fortnight without someone home from school... and so the term continued.  Instead of planning around set days, I'm back to where I was last year, making the most of small pockets of time.  On Saturday morning I had the house to myself and quickly set to work.  I cut up 40 pieces of card and worked out the action for every single chapter.  I've started this on the computer, but this was much more effective.  I was able to easily shuffle things around if I decided to change something, add in scenes as required and worked out how to combine action into the same chapters.

I've never worked with something this big before - the current total is just over 60,000 words!  The document is over 200 pages in size and it's easy to get lost.  I don't want to print it out all the time, so I'm doing as much on the computer as possible.  Backups are made via the computer hard drive, plus I also email myself a copy at the end of each writing session.  Now that each chapter is laid out, I'm going to rearrange the current document to reflect these changes.  It's tedious, slow work, but something that's manageable in small pockets of time…  Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Why don't you set yourself up with a dropbox account. I save everything straight onto there as well as my computer and it holds it all up on the cloud.... AND is very easy. Love me xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for that - food for thought! At the moment it's easy just to email myself and saves me logging on to another program, but down the track that's a great alternative to consider. xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. It sounds as though you are up and running, maybe walking, all progress anyway. It will be worth it in the end! Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck! Making the most of small pockets of time is how most mums get any writing done. Shuffle those cards, and keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! Sometimes it's a matter of accepting the pockets, which is where I'm at now!

      Delete