Friday, 4 April 2014

library loving: watching and reading

It's not always easy to get out to see the latest movies.  We rely now on the local library service and its wonderful network throughout Victoria.  Lately, we've had a fabulous run of viewing - the last few episodes of The Americans that for some inexplicable reason we missed at the time of screening.  Both Save the Date and I Give it a Year were titles Joe screwed up his nose at, but managed to sit his way through them and offered a few enthusiastic laughs.  Parkland was completely absorbing - the immediate aftermath of JFK's assassination.  Just as horrifying now as it would have been at the time - this movie comes highly recommended but is definitely heavy viewing.
 I suffered a book drought that was well and truly broken by the above four books.  JoJo Moyes' The One Plus One was one of mum's library scores and when she passed it on recently, it was a lifesaver.  Featuring the coming together of one dysfunctional family with a man whose mistakes threaten to ruin his career, this book will keep you reading well into the small hours.  Balancing Act centres around a family pottery business and the three generations it supports - a great weekend read.  Ann Leary's The Good House grabbed me from the start - I fell in love with Hildy Good, whose character was so cleverly written and narrated.  I was delighted to find that this novel is to be made into a movie starring Meryl Streep and Robert De Niro - read the book first though and let me know what you think!  The Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns is just as good as its beautiful cover promises - Margaret Dilloway's handling of Galilee Garner and her passion for rose breeding shows serious illness is no excuse for living life on the sidelines.
Here's a taster of what's on my bookshelf next!  I read Kelly Corrigan's The Middle Place a few years ago - a beautifully wrought memoir of the period in which she battled breast cancer as her father simultaneously had prostate cancer.  This stage of her life - as both a mother of children and a being someone's child herself - inspired the title.  Glitter and Glue is another memoir, this time reaching back into the 1990s when Corrigan travelled from America to Australia as a backpacker.  Unable to work legally, Corrigan nannied for a recently widowed Sydney man and his two children.  I'm looking forward to delving deeper over the next few days.  I haven't read any of Jennifer Close before, but I'm hoping these two novels above live up to their reviews.

16 comments:

  1. Oooh some good books to add to my (very long) to read list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely to think of long reading lists?! So much better than the alternative!

      Delete
  2. I'm a tad ashamed to admit that the only one of your list that I've read or seen is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe! This is absolutely not like the person I thought I would be! But, like Jodi, I've got a few to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shame in that! Sometimes it's so hard to either get to the books, or actually get the good books!

      Delete
  3. Oh dear!! i'm totally embarrassed to say i think the Croods is the only one i have seen or read the whole way through ... i think i saw it all. Gosh i take the kids to library but i just never get to the big people section. Inspiring i will make an effort to get there! Have a great weekend. visiting from MaxabellaLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I guess that's the thing of motherhood - the you know whos come first!! I struggled to get to the big people section until I started reserving books on line. It's so much easier to swan in to the reserves shelf and pick up my pile of books, than it is to scan the shelves!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, some good recommendations there thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read none of the books on both your piles and only know one of the authors... a lot for me to explore! I love the granny stripe blanket in your photos, what yarn did you use? Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo Moyes has some great books, I hope you enjoy her! Granny stripe was mainly made from Zara wool - all but the white, which was from Bendigo. I loved the Zara wool so much, very expensive but you can't go past those beautiful bright colours. I'd only use the same type of wool if I did it again as the Bendigo wears differently to the Zara. It was Lucy from Attic24's pattern - worked a treat!

      Delete
  6. I loved Jojo Moyes, and looking forward to sharing more! Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness you brought it to me in my hour of need!

      Delete
  7. They are my kind of stacks - great movies and books, some of which look SO interesting. I love the library and have a stack of books on my side table myself. Must get to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something so lovely about a bedside table full of books isn't there?!

      Delete
  8. Lucky you having the time to read all of these books! Since having children I've really struggled to find time. I've just joined a book club (we're about to read a book by Joanne Harris), and looking forward to the motivation of getting back into reading again and prioritising it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading time is definitely snatched moments when I can! I haven't found it as easy to read since having kids, so great reading material definitely makes a difference. Good luck with the book club, Joanne Harris is a lovely writer!

      Delete