Wednesday, 18 December 2013

winterfold: saying goodbye

I didn't mean to step away for so long, in fact I didn't even mean to step away...  it's just been one of those ridiculously busy times where something has had to give - and my poor neglected blog has been the very thing...  A few months ago, my mum and step-father made the very hard decision to sell their farm.  This started off a chain of busy-ness - much like a whirlwind, maybe even a tornado - from which I haven't yet been put down. 
 If I think of the months since then, it's been one of those busy times at home anyway - kids' sport on weekends, establishing new garden beds, running around after three children, my Poppies project coming to fruition... add in the sale of 'Winterfold' and there's not been a moment to draw breath.  Mum and Errol bought it in 2000 and it's become a much loved home.  Set in rugged granitic ranges in some of Victoria's most beautiful scenery, it's been the place of many adventures for our family.
The garden is just stunning and I spent many hours taking hundreds of photos of it and the house to add to the real estate agent's images on the internet.  There was much mowing, pruning and sprucing and we did the best to help with that as we raced around with our own commitments.  When the property sold, it went with a five week settlement - that time is up today!  All of a sudden the sheds had to be cleared and this meant the huge pile of belongings we had in storage had to be dealt with - and to do that we had to make room at home...
We've had a lot of family come home to say goodbye and even pulled bon bons in lieu of a final Christmas on the farm.  Family and friends have been terrific and my mum and Errol are blessed to surrounded by such lovely people.  The support they've had has been tremendous.  Thirteen years in one place doesn't sound long, but this is the place they've put their hearts and souls, much love and effort has made 'Winterfold' what it is today.  It was the place where Joe and I made our commitment to each other, marrying under an ash tree in December 2001.  The place we returned to having spent the first years of marriage living in Ireland.  The place where we have welcomed and farewelled beloved family members.
The stunning crepe myrtle has created a backdrop for beautiful family photos - this one a few years ago, with a preschool Sophie and a young looking Tom!  Joe has dug up a few suckers from the tree's base and we're doing our best in this heatwave to nurture them through.  We've brought home many cuttings from the garden and will grin and bear the season's high water bill to get everything going!  Hopefully we will keep it all alive, adding to the plants we moved up here earlier in the year.

I kept planning to come back here to this space - my blog - and document these last moments as they occurred, but it's been impossible to finish a thought, let alone put finger to keyboard.  There hasn't been any writing - the only work I've sat down to is the paid kind, much needed at this time of year!  With school holidays commencing on Friday, it doesn't seem likely to quieten down anytime soon - and if it wasn't for Avril's kind comment this morning, wondering how I was getting on, I may not have returned for a while longer.  But as a blog reader as much as a writer, I, too, have pondered on people's absences and unexplained ones can be troublesome.  It's with much pleasure I can report all's well, if only ridiculously chaotic...  Stay tuned over the next little while for a catch up of what we've been doing around the house and garden...

Until then, thank you for reading - and Avril, thank you for asking!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Lucy. Please take some of where M and E are now so that I can imagine it. Love you, love me. xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I am hoping to finally have some time this morning to whip around with my camera. It's packed, ready to go, at the front door… Love you, miss you, wish you were here! xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Avril - it's amazing how much time I'm starting to find, now we're just in one place!

      Delete