Wednesday, 30 October 2013

the trouble with library books...

... is that they have to be returned!  I would have loved to have kept each and every one of these books - not that I need any of them, if need should have anything to do with it!  From Meredith Kirton's Grow, Harvest, Cook to Bob and Sophia Palmer's amazing culinary tour of Morocco, I could happily while the hours away with these tomes.  Each of them is so beautifully presented, confirming for me I would only build a digital collection of books if every hard- and paperback book in the world disappeared.  It appears that producers of real, actual, hold-them-in-your-hand-and-love-them books are working harder than ever to put together attractive bundles of papery delights - and it's working.
Just look at these images, for example - cute animal toppers from the aptly named Sweet Paper Crafts, one of the many delicious collections from The Flower Recipe Book and one of the proliferous fabulous paintings from Watercolor.  It seemed wrong to return the books on time when they just needed a little longer in my home.  We've become well acquainted, they're on my wish list and one day when the budget stops slipping in to the red, they will grace my bookshelves - I hope!  Long live books - preferably those you can hold and snuggle up on the couch with, no electricity required!

PS All are returned now, if you're hoping to reserve them from my library!!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I still have some of the ones that were here when you were over - just as well my librarians love me (and their fines aren't too hefty!!)...

      Delete
  2. Ha ha! This is a librarian who was once in the system and who could keep books for months! Since I am now working in a school library , I barely visit the public library now as I can never ever return books on time and always owe huge fines.... Add your books to your artist as wish list! I agree that real books are far superior!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, as I picked up some more books yesterday - without returning any - the librarian said it was just as well I didn't work there as I would be working the system too!!

      Delete
  3. I haven't been reading anything interesting lately. I need to do a SERIOUS library visit and inspire myself. After all, it's winter and I will probably spend more time indoors - which will be much better with a good book. A recent radio prog discussed the idea that the current generation growing up might not have bookshelves...that is scary. mmmm....love books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh there have been some great books lately Avril, can't wait to have time to share them with you. Virtual bookshelves - perish the thought!

      Delete
  4. ummm, just dropping you a note to say hi. Its been a while since you last posted so I'm hoping all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Avril, thank you so much for asking! Hopefully my blog post this morning will go someways to explaining how busy it's been - life is hectic enough with three kids, let alone all the extra curricular activities we've had on lately. I am looking forward to just staying put for a while and hope that will happen now for a while... I really, really appreciate your interest and concern. Hopefully I will get more of a chance now to get back to this space - then next year back to my book. My youngest son will start kinder and there will be two mornings a week for writing - amazing!! Best wishes, Lucy

    ReplyDelete