Thursday, 3 October 2013

the ring thing...

Last week I looked down at my engagement ring only to see a little black hole where one of the stones should be.  I'd been weeding - gloveless - and prior to that cooking dinner.  It could be anywhere and at that miniscule size, it could even have been in our dinner, a chewy little peppercorn that escaped unnoticed.  I've been regarding my ring and its worn down setting and thinking I must get something done about it, must get something done about it...  but it's in such dire need of rebuilding, I could only see dollar signs and turned the other way.  Now, though, I've added even more dollar signs, so I am turning away from it completely.  I slipped the ring off my finger and will now rotate through the odds and sods, the crumbs of my jewellery box if you will.

But this first one, this engagement ring came to us via an antique shop in Kati Kati, New Zealand.  Joe and I had been skirting around 'the future' on this trip to see my sister and her then boyfriend in 2000.  He bought the ring and took until 24 hours later to pop the question in the campervan in which we were staying, suffering the worst flu imaginable.  Can you remember the flu around that time?  In Australia, we called it the New Zealand flu and over there, the Australian flu?  Wherever it evolved, it was nasty. We had waited in such anticipation for this trip and spent it huddled by the fire, sweating out the illness, noses draped in tissues.

When Joe asked me to marry him, I found it hard to take seriously the pyjama-clad, Kleenex laden, unshaven man in front of me.  I said to ask me again when he'd showered.  And then again when he was dressed.  And then said yes.  We figured if we wanted to marry each other when we felt so sick and looked so dreadful, that it was a good omen.  I do laugh when I hear about other people's engagement stories, in contrast so romantic to our fluey tale, a camper van rather than a rose petal filled hotel room.

But I digress... Uninscribed, we know nothing of the ring's origins.  And now a small piece of it is missing.  It's kind of like losing a tooth, but if I put it under my pillow, there will not be something there in the morning.  One day we will fix this ring, but until then, it will be remain, gap-toothed and safe from further losses.  Only valuable in terms of the immense meaning behind it, not a calculation of however many months' worth of Joe's wage, just a little something picked up in a far away place and something to join us for eternity.

12 comments:

  1. sorry that a shiny bit fell out, but it did allow you to revisit the story of how it came into your life. I think your proposal story is lovely.










    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Avril, thank you for that! I'm glad you like our proposal story, it does seem quite different to most I hear!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Elli! I guess it had its own kind of romance!!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry your diamond has gone, it's not a nice feeling.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I guess if it was something huge and valuable I would probably be more worried!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda, no rose petals, apart from whatever decoration was on the Kleenex box!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful story, but I know that feeling - I have two missing diamonds from my 21st ring and have no idea where to get it restock how much that would cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Holly, perhaps it's best just to not know... that's the theory I'm working on anyway. The stone itself - tiny - but it's the rebuilding that worries me... Anyhoo my little cubic zirconia thingamee is working just fine!

      Delete