Wednesday, 9 October 2013

bake offs, challenges and competitions...

Have you been watching The Great British Bake Off?  The whole tone is so much more pleasant than the Australian version!  Yes, everybody is in a competition, but they seem very supportive of each other, unlike the rivalries that occurred on ours...  Also, they have fascinating tidbits about the origins of various baked goods - pork pies last night which was really interesting.  Feeling inspired by last week's macaron episode, I got to baking with Sophie on Saturday.  I must admit, they're not particularly exciting to make if you're a child - too much waiting!  It was interminable for the poor girl - firstly having to wait while the little circles were traced on to the baking paper and then the horror of having to patiently wait for the shells to harden prior to baking.  And then they still had to cook and cool down and... you get the picture!  Worse still was the realisation that she didn't really like them - next time, Soph, it's cupcakes!

Now these are footless macarons - I don't know whether my mixture was too wet or if I piped them out too thick and inhibited their rising in the oven?  I do know, however, that I'm not going to make it a challenge to find out how to perfect the macaron.  The way of perfection, I feel, is a slippery slope with far too much tasting and testing involved than is good for the waistline.  No, they will only be tested again with purpose - if I know I am going somewhere or have people coming here who can share the goods.  Just making them for the family is not going to happen!!

10 comments:

  1. I finally got a batch to work last night - wahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the Aussie version more, but am keen to see who wins the British version! (Go Mary Ann!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colour, Lucy - and you did a better job than i ever have. Macarons are on my baking blacklist - it always goes pear shaped, I just can't do it. I stick to cakes, they seem to work..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I would have liked pink, but have run out of the red food colouring!! I just think that to perfect them will mean eating too many failed batches... I will stick to cakes etc instead too!

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen the show, but I do love a macaron. I didn't know that some macarons had feet... (!?!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI there! The feet are meant to be where it rises from the bottom - mine just have the shiny top... Apparently a proper macaron will stand on its side when its filled. Amazing what trivia you can pick up!

      Delete
  5. Mmmmm macarons are good! Did the footless ones taste good even though they were missing their feet?

    I must confess that my first (and only) attempt at making macarons was assisted by a packet mix. They turned out okay.

    Cheers,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did taste yummy - delicious in fact. Didn't know they came in packets!!

      Delete