Thursday, 1 August 2013

ch-ch-ch-changes...

We've spent the past seven months getting used to how we live in our new house and our set-up hasn't been quite right.  We had the couch positioned so you could only see inside, whereas I love lying on the couch and looking out into the garden.  We were watching television in our kitchen/living room and thinking we'd prefer to be in our sitting room at the front of the house (which is also my office, but more about that later)....  There was only one way to find out if another way would be better and on Monday evening we bit the bullet.  Please see our new dining area - open and spacious.  We love it!  I'm also really enjoying having my glass cabinet on display finally!  I bought it second-hand in about gosh, 2007 or 2008 and this is the first time it's working as intended.
And there, at the back, is our new sitting area, complete with couch readily positioned for gazing into the garden.  There's a lot more actual seating area than where we had it previously (see here), plus we don't have the kitchen table blocking the view to the back.  My double dining table has disappeared momentarily, as I've stolen our 'new' dining table for a temporary desk.  Yes, I've relinquished my office space!  It wasn't as big a sacrifice as I thought it would be.  In fact, in time when it's set up properly, we will have created a hot-desking type situation - a homework space for the kids and a workspace for Joe and I.  Photos will come when it's looking a little less paper strewn and a lot more aesthetically pleasing!
And we're not the only ones happy with our new kitchen/living/office space.  Minnie was caught enjoying a spot of sunshine - it looked like such a lovely place to chill out I lay there for a while myself!    I'll share more with you over the coming days - it's as much a revelation to myself.  It shows the benefits of having a very flexible living space, which is one of the things that was important to us when we built.  Now, it's proven just how valuable that kind of space is - and with the television in the front room, it's also out of sight, out of mind.  A bit easier to ignore when it's not just sitting there, staring at the kids and reminding them when it's turned off!

6 comments:

  1. What a great space - loving your glass fronted cabinet and multi-coloured chairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it wrong to say they're good for my soul?! Because it really feels like they are! And just so lovely to see them all there together.

      Delete
  2. I can vouch for it looking...and feeling good! I didn't lie on the floor with Minny but could have, just curl up in the winter sun. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like an easy space to live in and your new chairs look great there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic there Avril, just what I'd hoped to achieve from a home of our own - and the new chairs are the icing on the cake!

      Delete