Monday, 22 July 2013

winter posies

Did you see that patch of sunshine?  Just for a moment?  It's been very wet around here and the days have been cold and grey.  It's been fantastic to get some rain but it will be nice to level it out a bit...  It's been a very unproductive start to Term 3.  Tom and Jono came down with a fever on Tuesday night and by Friday, I had all 3 kids home with a nasty virus...  and me as well.  We lay low over the weekend and I'm hoping that this will be the end of it for now - touch wood!  I managed to put together a small posy from one of the garden beds, then there was a special treat in store...
Daphne!  My plant has been living in a pot for a few years now and we managed to plant it out in the autumn.  It's been so happy to finally be in the ground - and the proof is in the picking.  This is one of my all-time favourites and I won't be stopping with just one.  I did actually manage to strike a cutting last year, but it didn't last once I planted it out...  Will have to try again this year - apparently December - January is best.
Our first jonquils...  there are more bulbs to flower, but I'm not quite sure what will be coming up.  It's fun waiting and watching...  I left these outside for a couple of weeks on the plant and they were still flowering.  I figured it was time to have them inside for a few days.  It's lovely to see parts of the garden becoming colonised (!) as we make our beds - a total of 4 now.  We also planted out three trees last week - two double flowering peach (weeping) and one ornamental plum - hopefully they will give us all a nice show in spring...

PS Hopefully the posies will take my focus from the huge amount of capeweed that is choking out my lawn.  I've resorted to pulling it up by hand as I'm not keen on chemicals being used in the back garden where the kids play...  I really have my work cut out for me!

4 comments:

  1. I love your post....only this morning I was thinking of all the scented flowers in a winter garden....maybe these scents are meant to help us when the days are grey and dull. Your daphne is very happy...lovely! Hope you all feel better soon. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daphne is just lovely on the kitchen table, have some in our bedroom too...

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you've all been laid low with the nasty lurgy - hopefully you'll have got it out of the way and be fighting fit now for the next few months! I love Daphne - I've never thought about taking cuttings so well done for giving it a go x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch wood, it's gone for now! Hopefully the cuttings will work later in the year - they will need to so I can indulge my daphne habit!

      Delete