Monday, 1 July 2013

looped crochet scarf - in progress

As someone who's not a great pattern reader, I prefer to fiddle around with the stitches I know and see what happens (otherwise known as 'making it up as you go along!).  I started out this scarf with the four rounds (in green) which were all made together, each separated by a single chain.  I worked from there and started the looped/scalloped pattern after a few rows.
I fiddled around with this patten last week in a blue and yellow, but the colours weren't quite working.  The yarn in these images is a Cleckheaton Bamboo and has a delightful shimmer.  I haven't used it before, but it seems to work up well with a 3.5mm crochet hook.
 It all fits in well with the vintage chair I recovered recently.
 The scarf is for my auntie, who has just turned 70.  The present will be a bit late, but hopefully better late than never... and it just shows that you don't need to be able to read patterns to be able to crochet, just a little imagination.  I guess it's a bit like being able to play music by ear, but not how to read music...

PS Guess how I learnt to play music many years ago?!

6 comments: