Monday, 29 July 2013

hard waste - really?!

Mum's eagle eyes spotted these lovely dining chairs in one of Melbourne's hard waste collections.  Now they weren't looking exactly like this at the time, but she could see the potential and whipped them in to the boot of the car.  My step-father did a wonderful job of attending to the fixing and painting and they're breathing some fresh air into our house.  The paint I chose was from Taubmans - Green Imp and Violet Eclipse.  I wonder what their old owners would say if they saw them now?!  Or how much they would pay for them if they saw the chairs for sale in a shop?!
And this child?  He will give you an idea of how delighted I was to hear our washing machine finishing a cycle only moments ago.  It flat out refused to work on Friday and I've had the technician tinkering with it this morning - for what will probably be the last time, unfortunately.  We've had the machine for over eight years and I've never been entirely enamoured of it, but I'm not quite ready to see it go.  I asked for brand recommendations and our technician said he doesn't really give them these days, as everything is so bad!  At a pinch, if you were going for something cheaper he would say LG, if not, it would be Asko or Miele...  roll on tax refund!  It's sad really, as I can see the connection between throwing out two perfectly repairable chairs and whitegoods that are really made to break down so you buy something new.  I see little point in introducing carbon taxes and other environmental initiatives when you know, at heart, it's not going to make any difference to the poorly made goods out there...  In the meantime, we will fix and recycle what we can, but it's pretty disheartening all the same.

10 comments:

  1. I am so envious of any city that has hard waste days! Here there is just a leave-stuff-on-the-side-of-the-road-and-someone-will-take-it culture, which is nice but I wish there was a dedicated day and time for foraging. Although, we have got lots of good stuff and got rid of lots of crap through just putting it on the road outside the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so worth heading to Melbourne and driving around the hard waste. I don't know whether technically you're meant to pick anything up... anyways! I think it did used to be a bit more random, without a hard waste day - this way you know when to look.

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't it be good if companies had end of life whiteware policies. Love the chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a few do now, but sadly it doesn't mean they're making better quality goods... The new chairs fit in well with yours!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad they have been successful! Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lucy,

    I'm making my way through one lovely goodbye email at a time and you are the first cab off the rank.

    I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my funny little blog - I almost feel guilty for quitting when you've just discovered it.

    Apologies for replying to your note in your comments section but I couldn't find your email address and I really wanted to thank you for writing it.

    Take care Lucy and good luck with the writing, Kylie x

    p.s. I love your chairs btw, gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Kylie,

      Thank you for the message! And good luck to you too. This blog is actually the reprisal of my blogging - I went so far as deleting mine and regrets... well I've had a few. I didn't think at the time it was possible to just take a break.. hmmm.. Anyway, I started again and am really enjoying it. Yes, I have my fingers crossed for the writing too!

      Cheers

      Lucy

      Delete
  5. Wow those chairs are gorgeous - love the shape. We don't seem to have hard waste sections over here in the UK (at least not in Staffordshire) - it's a case of if you see someone taking something out of the back of their car take it before they throw it! Well done your mum! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to just wait outside your house, hoping someone will reveal their treasures! I can't tell you how thrilled we are with these new chairs and the colours have worked out so well.

      Delete