Saturday, 15 June 2013

lego in the sunshine and reflections on writing...

We are like cats, chasing spots of winter sunshine in the house.  Sophie's been playing with her lego, rejigging the layout and making a comfy couch for her people, perfect for watching TV.  I've been absent for the past couple of days, busy with work and real life.  I had three days worth of writing to catch up on this morning and it felt like a hard slog.  Definitely not one of those days the writing flowed easily, but I kept going - the words 'you can't edit a blank page' echoing in my head.  I managed a spot of editing this week, going right back to the first page.  A new narrative voice crept in - I like it, but have to make sure it fits the entire text.  Write, write and rewrite - isn't that what they say?!

4 comments:

  1. Is that the lego girl that I sent for Sophie? It looks so lovely there - heavy rain warnings for tomorrow here - kind of looking forward to it. xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the lego girl - she's a great addition. Hope you got your rain and quiet day!

      Delete
  2. I heard an interesting documentary on the radio about a writers use of Oblique Strategy Cards. The writer also made a lovely comment about when you have an idea for your writing but it isn't fully formed so you need to give the idea time to grow - "sometimes you have to let the dough rise".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to google the method and see what it suggests! But yes, letting the dough rise seems perfect for what's happening at the moment!

      Delete