Wednesday, 12 June 2013

a room of one's own - the perfect place to make poppies!

Last night, Joe straightened in his seat as ads for the soccer world cup qualifier flicked on to the television.  As an avid 'football' fan from the northern hemisphere, he is on a starvation diet when it comes to the world game.  Often, big matches are screened live from Europe - ungodly hours that require an alarm clock and Joe running the gauntlet of waking the rest of the family.  So last night, when I saw the look of hope in Joe's eyes, I took my leave and shuffled off to my study, not yet fully aware of the productive night that lay ahead of me.  The combination of catch up TV through my computer and all my craft materials in one room proved a heady mix...
A poppy tiara made from wire - my first time making something like this and I don't think it will be my last!  Definitely need more to go around the house for when the mood strikes...
Remnants of previous felting works reconstructed into poppies - inspired by my sister Kate's beautiful paintings from yesterday...
 Felt and wool wrapped wire stems, flowers made from an old jumper (very thrifty!)...
 Last week's cup finally received its poppy...
 And a wire poppy frame.
 Mr fiddly fingers caught me arranging everything for a photo...
and took a liking to the wire poppies.  They are safely out of his reach now - I hope! - and I will add this work to my display in the main street...  but perhaps not today!  It is absolutely pouring down and I will only be going out when I have to - school pick up and Sophie's netball in the afternoon.  Wish me luck getting through the day with a very active boy who loves his outside time!

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see photos of your display in the main street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I never seem to get there in the light of day...

      Delete
  2. Goodness your crafting mojo is turbo charged at the moment. Love the poppy tiara and the felted picture. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, it's been all kinds of creative here at the moment - exhausting, but very satisfying and FUN!

      Delete