Saturday, 4 May 2013

the writer's edition - month 2 check-in

It's been a huge month on the writing front.  I was delighted to reach 30,000 words, which some people liken to writing a thesis.  As of yesterday, I was up to 33047 words (I've even taken a screenshot for you, above) and am now 8500 words over my goal for this time.  Very exciting!  I've now printed out the entire manuscript, which equals 120 pages in a standard size book.  I can also report that I'm feeling really pleased with how it's going.  This doesn't underestimate at all the long process ahead of me, however I'm - dare I say?! - happy with my work to date.

I still find it very hard to validate myself as a writer.  This is such a hard thing to do.  It's so much easier to have a concrete job with guaranteed earnings at the end.  When you put yourself on the line creatively, in the beginning there are no commissions, it's a project you take on yourself, all at your own risk.  It's one of those things that can easily make you lose confidence and detour away again from the writing process.  You can see evidence of this in the author's section of books - just look at how many different jobs many writers have had, the roles they've auditioned for as they've danced around their love of writing.

In my own life, I've started courses and not finished them, worked in all sorts of different roles from administration to accounts, retail, catering and farm work.  And throughout all that time, I've wanted to write.  I've spoken before about my bottom drawer, filled with writing projects I've started, then put away as I quickly lost confidence.  It didn't matter that I had teachers at school who said then that I would be a writer when I grew up - I needed to find a proper job!  It's the same for artists and musicians, anyone with a creative bent.  It's that putting yourSELF on the line and saying you're game for the challenge.

And with Jono at home, I may as well use my time productively.  There are no financial outlays for the time I spend writing, it doesn't take up much time during the day, 250 words is a manageable goal and it's giving me the most unimaginable amount of pleasure, I can't tell you!  To be so supported by Joe in this process is amazing.  As a creative person himself, he really gets where I'm coming from, which is terrific.  We both know it could take two, three, four or more attempts (as in manuscripts!) to get my writer's voice heard...  which is scary, but I'm going to try!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed by all you have done! It is difficult for creative people, especially mothers. So difficult to put yourself first when all you want to do is to,write, paint, crochet. You are managing to do it with a 2 year old so you are to be congratulated. Writing IS something to do without any financial outlay too, a real bonus! Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff! I'm glad you continue to enjoy your writing and it is wonderful to hear how much progress you've made. Sounds like you have the love and support of family - thats got to be good fuel for your creative spirit.x

    ReplyDelete