Monday, 13 May 2013

the happy quilt

There are ends to bind and loose threads needing to be removed, but for all intents and purposes this quilt is finished!  What started out life as a not very attractive woollen blanket, is now known as the happy quilt.  It was a huge effort, finished today in testing circumstances with a busy two year old running around the house...
The piece was so big, I found it dragging as I sewed it on to the blanket top.  I moved my sewing machine to the floor instead and used my knee to operate the pedal!  Very unconventional, but it worked!  My back is aching now, though, I must admit.  I am walking around like an old woman!
The back - I am in two minds as to whether I will cover this.  Not doing anything til my back stops aching from today's efforts!
And last night I learnt how to make granny squares.  I can't believe I found a tutorial I could actually understand - thanks to Heather at Little Tin Bird.  Heather is a genius at explaining how to do things, she is if I can understand them!  I'm not keen on my colours there, it was more about the technique.

Anyway, chaos ensues, must sign off and hope I will have more granny squares to show you tomorrow - in much better colour ways!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Lucy that's beautiful! How ingenious to finish it off on the floor - I think I'd have just sat and cried! I'd leave the back as it is then you have a nice contrast (and it lets you declare it 'finished') Well done on the granny squares too - another skill! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I think the tears were only a moment or two away before I realised the floor was the place to be! Yes, it does seem to make sense to leave the back as is (!), then that just leaves the edges to be bound. I have put the quilt on our bed and it's lovely there. Very satisfying!

      Delete
  2. Pretty colours - just right to brighten up these cooler days. I have done a couple of quilts, my biggest one I did for my daughter (about the size of a single duvet cover) I ended up hand quilting it, it was just so much easier to haul around me on the sofa rather than hauling it though the machine. I may have to try the floor option though. I have never been able to get "crochet" lucky I can get my sister to do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Julie! I will have to try to get another shot of it now on our bed. It's not the red as it appears - on my screen anyway - but a hot pink. I think it was the quality of light coming in to the living room when I took the photo and I haven't had time to take another one yet.

      Hand quilting must have taken rather a while. I did consider it, but thought it might become another WIP that lasted years! The floor option was great, but I was rather stiff and sore for a while!

      I'm amazed I worked out the granny squares and can even do them without looking at the tutorial now. It's honestly worth a try as I am terrible at following a pattern, especially at night, and love finding things I can do without having to think!

      Delete
  3. It seems that every time I go to sleep and wake up I find you've posted here, and in that time you've made something else that's fabulous! Are days much longer in Australia?! I am thinking you must have more than 24hours in each, and UK much less than 24...that would excuse your high level of productivity and my lack thereof. (lazy me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks Avril! Honestly, the only reason I got so far with the quilt was thanks to mother's day, otherwise it would have been another day of chores and wrestling children! I was able to call my mother's day trump and that seemed to help!

      The crocheting has been a night-time thing - the difference made by having a good light in the living room, courtesy of my older boy Tom. I swapped him another bedside lamp and we're both happy. Now I have a standard lamp and I can see what I'm doing!

      I think also realising how easy the granny squares are helps too! And now I'm off to do some more! Until tomorrow!

      Delete