Sunday, 19 May 2013

sundays in the garden: the new garden bed

Last week's rain and my growing impatience with a front garden full of cape weed have fuelled my desire for a new garden bed.  I dug up and turned the soil outside my office, then finally planted gardenias I've had in pots since December (!) and added other plants needing a home.  Since we planted out the side garden, some of the geraniums have filled out enough that I've been able to transplant some of them.  I've only ever started a couple of garden beds before, but I prefer to thickly plant them out, rather than have lots of gaps.  Then I transfer the plants as they grow and find them new homes.  It might be a bit more work, doubling up on extra digging and moving, but gives me the established look I'm trying to achieve.

I started off this afternoon's efforts by myself, but managed to tempt Sophie outside by saying it could be our shared garden bed.  She was delighted to choose places for the plants - including lavender, echeveria, pigface and thyme - then cover them with fresh autumn leaves I'd raked from out the back this morning.  The soil out the front is very poor, but by mulching with leaves and pea straw, they will break down in time and feed everything.  And without a garden budget, we're just going to make do!  I'd prefer to have a few plants die on me, than look at cape weed for the rest of my life!

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of pigface before but I'm sure it's very pretty! My garden is planted thickly too - I actually think it's less work because you don't have to keep the soil 'tidy'! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a lovely flower Jane! Poor old pigface! Don't know how it scored that name, will have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. You are doing the right thing I'm sure and having an enthusiastic Sophie was so good. Mulch and compost will help so much to improve the soil and you will feel great when you look out the window when you are working. Love Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much, much better. Now to colonise the rest of it!

      Delete