Tuesday, 14 May 2013

more granny squares and a shock wool discovery...

You can see the granny squares are becoming quite addictive!  As they're neat and small, it's so easy to get the wool out and whip them up while I'm sitting in one of the comfy armchairs.  Like an old crone, I beckon the kids toward me, encourage them to get out their homework and read to me while I sit down for a few moments....  bliss!  But my bliss bubble has been popped with a shock wool discovery...  my skin can't tolerate the beautiful bright wool shown in the granny squares in the background.  Whilst working with this wool last night, my hands became terribly red and itchy.  Even worse than this realisation was the one where I worked out I hadn't had any kind of reaction to the beautiful - but terribly expensive - Zara wool from which I crocheted my granny stripe blanket.

Do any wool lovers know of another beautiful, soft 8ply merino wool that is brightly dyed, ultrafine and doesn't cost up to $12 per ball?!  If so, I would love to know, otherwise I will be spending my children's education funds on a rather costly wool habit!!  Or else, using up my scratchier wool and spending the children's education funds on a rather costly skincare regime!!

Help!

PS The granny square in the foreground is the gentle granny!  The blue in the centre is cotton and the pink is a bamboo cotton mix - neither of which affected my hands, but I don't think they were cheap either!

6 comments:

  1. Shepherd merino, about $7 a ball from Spotlight, but you really can't go wrong with good old Bendigo wool Mills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Rachel

      I will look out for that. I do like Bendigo, but their colours aren't as strongly dyed as Zara's, which I find disappointing! I will let you know how I get on!

      Cheers

      Lucy

      Delete
  2. You need to go wool shopping - there is soooo much out there and much cheaper too... lower your yarn standards lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the hands lovey! Got to look out for them, I don't miss the itching and scratching I used to get so badly!

      Delete
  3. What about the wool that Little Woolie sells in her shop? Heritage, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check that out, I think my mum has some at home I can try. Fingers crossed!

      Delete